Can Jira Agile keep blocked issued from being added to a sprint?

Brian DeGeeter April 24, 2014

Is it possible to have an issue which is blocked by a number of other issues not be allowed on a sprint or as a higher ranking in the backlog?

Further clairfication from my comment below...

I'm thinking of the "blocks" link not status. If issue A is blocking issue B then I would like to be alerted if B is ranked a higher priority in the backlog or if B is added to a sprint without A.

3 answers

0 votes
Ondřej_Bouda February 23, 2018

I would also be glad if Jira could at least alert me of the problem when starting a sprint, just like it already does about issues with no story points estimation.

Arfni Ved June 14, 2019

I second this proposal.

0 votes
BjoernKruse February 16, 2017

Same question here on recent JIRA 7.3.1

The default link relation "blocked by" (or "blocks" from the other Point of view) is used. It should not be possible to add an issue A to the sprint (or to rank it higher than) as there are one or more issues B,...,N that block issue A.

Even adding a listener/trigger/event for this seems not easily configurable?

Any hints or comments appreciated.

0 votes
Andrea Carl April 24, 2014

Depends on how you identify your issues as Blocked. If you use a status of "Blocked", then in the Agile Board don't map the Blocked status to a column or exclude Blocked status from your Board Filter. Then the issue won't show in the Backlog. Once the status is changed, it will be displayed on the Planning Board.

Brian DeGeeter April 24, 2014

I'm thinking of the "blocks" link not status. If issue A is blocking issue B then I would like to be alerted if B is ranked a higher priority in the backlog or if B is added to a sprint without A.

Suggest an answer