Can Jira Agile keep blocked issued from being added to a sprint?

Is it possible to have an issue which is blocked by a number of other issues not be allowed on a sprint or as a higher ranking in the backlog?

Further clairfication from my comment below...

I'm thinking of the "blocks" link not status. If issue A is blocking issue B then I would like to be alerted if B is ranked a higher priority in the backlog or if B is added to a sprint without A.

3 answers

Depends on how you identify your issues as Blocked. If you use a status of "Blocked", then in the Agile Board don't map the Blocked status to a column or exclude Blocked status from your Board Filter. Then the issue won't show in the Backlog. Once the status is changed, it will be displayed on the Planning Board.

I'm thinking of the "blocks" link not status. If issue A is blocking issue B then I would like to be alerted if B is ranked a higher priority in the backlog or if B is added to a sprint without A.

Same question here on recent JIRA 7.3.1

The default link relation "blocked by" (or "blocks" from the other Point of view) is used. It should not be possible to add an issue A to the sprint (or to rank it higher than) as there are one or more issues B,...,N that block issue A.

Even adding a listener/trigger/event for this seems not easily configurable?

Any hints or comments appreciated.

I would also be glad if Jira could at least alert me of the problem when starting a sprint, just like it already does about issues with no story points estimation.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

47 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot