Can I use both time tracking and story point together?

Rinal123 Nov December 25, 2017

I want my team to estimate the task with story point that help us to easily know our team velocity. However, I want my team to estimate time on their item also to track the time that each member spend and the remain time. 

we could not able to record the estimated time per user story, but we could able to log the time in work log, i.e estimate time is 0 but time spent can be added.

Note : we still want to use story point a long with time estimation. 

Thank in advance for your supporting.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2017

Yes, you can use both, but your boards can only use one of them to calculate velocity.  (Using both would be nonsense)

The standard approach is to use Story Points for the estimates/velocity and track time with the time tracking.

To enable time tracking, make sure the "time tracking" field is on the screens for creating and editing the issues.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2017

Hello,

As far as I know stories are estimatied in story points and tasks are esitmated in hours. In this case you get everything you want.

Do I understand correctly that you want to sum up all logged work for an issue and set the value for the Original Estimate field?

Suggest an answer