Can I use a single email address for service desk and jira email comment tracker?

Mark McCann September 5, 2017

Hi, 

Is there a way to setup jira and service desk to use a single email address for incoming comments and support requests.

For example if I have an email support@myjira.com and an email is received one of two things happen

1. If there is an existing issue number in the subject line it appends a comment to that issue (may not be a serivce desk issue)

2. If there is not an existing issue number in the subject line a support request is generated through email request settings in service desk.

For particular reasons we do not want two different email addresses.

Thanks

Mark

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

That won't work - even if you did set it up so that handler 1 is only a comment handler and ignores emails that are not comments, you can't be sure that it will get to the emails before handler 2.

Right now there is one handler in Jira that captures comments. The second handler is in service desk. The two are totally indespendent of each other.

In doing some testing I have seen what you suggest. The jira handler is processing the emails first most of the time and so any email without an issue number is disappearing and removed from the server before the service desk handler can catch it.

If I set it as POP then it marks it as read and appears the service desk does not catch it.

It appears I will need two addresses.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Like Brad Mace [ATS] likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

You need an email/project. How would the "project" be reconciled on the create, i.e. the initial email?

In this case Jira Service Desk creates a new ticket and it is assigned to the support project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2017

A bit confused. So you have a single email that results in an issue being created in JSD - got it. Now it is "assigned to the support project". What does that mean? Is the support project in JSW?

regardless...

The only thing I might suggest if you want a single email is to have it resolve to a JSD issue as you indicate and then create linked issues to JSW project. Use a plugin like Scriptrunner to add future comments made to the JSD ticket into the JSW linked issue. If you don't want to use plugins then you can simply add the owner of the JSW linked issue as a watcher to the JSD ticket.

Thanks Jack,

I imagine I could go down the road that you are suggesting but I think we are better off going the direction of 2 addresses.

It appears that the JSW handler is pulling the emails off before JSD has time to capture them and create a support ticket. If JSD runs first than I get tickets created on JSW project issue emails.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Mark

Suggest an answer