Can I use a copy of Jira database production with a evaluation license?

SES October 2, 2017

Greetings,

We are interested in testing a Jira server for development or testing. I would like to use the latest version of Jira to implement server training and a copy of the production environment of the database.

My new server is in Linux and the old server is in Windows. 6.4 to 7.4 upgrade

However, we would like to know if we can use the evaluation license to test?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

Yes, you can use evaluation licenses from https://my.atlassian.com in order to perform upgrades in Jira.   It is very commonly done that way.  The starter, community, and open licenses do not actually provide you a developer license access.  So if that is the case, I would still recommend just creating an eval for the purpose of this upgrade.

However, I would recommend that if you're going from 6.4, not to directly try to upgrade to 7.4.  The reason for this is that there are lots of changes to Jira in the 7.0.x line that can cause problems if you skip these versions. 

Instead I would first recommend upgrading Jira to a 7.0.x version like, 7.0.11 first, and then updating all the plugins/add-ons you use with Jira to make sure this works.  Once that is done, you can then update to the latest version. 

Additional info on this kind of upgrade:

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2017

You could, but you should really use the developer licence for this.

Under the licence key in your my.atlassian.com account, there's a link for the developer licence.

Suggest an answer