Can I use Epic Report in Kanban?

Rekha Priyesh November 30, 2017

Hi, We are using Epic Report in Scrum Project which is quite useful report for us. Now, we have started to use Epics in Program level, which is a Kanban Project. And we would like to use Epic Report here as well. Do you know if this is possible to enable Epic Report for Kanban Projects? Thanks for your response!

3 answers

2 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Hi Rekha,

Epic report is only available on Scrum Boards. Please take a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/using-a-board/using-reports

However, you should simply be able to create a Scrum Board with the Epics included in the query used by the board, and view the same reports. Even if you are not using the Sprints and Scrum features on the board, purely for reporting. Something for you to try out.

If you are looking at reporting at the Program Level, I recommend evaluating Portfolio for JIRA. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/programs-931037964.html

Regards

Bhushan

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 5, 2022

While an Epic report doesn't fit for a Kanban board, technically you can export Epics and an Epic report from a Kanban board with Better Excel Exporter.

You can export an Epic report from the Issue Navigator, but the app also adds an export option ("Export Excel") to the menu on the Kanban board:

20220901-jira-cloud-epic-report-export-kanban-board.png

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

0 votes
Rekha Priyesh December 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply Bhushan. Setting up a scrum board was not an option. Hence I was looking for other options.   

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2017

The Epic report relies on some data that you only capture in Scrum, and hence would not actually tell you anything if you could use it with a Kanban board.

Suggest an answer