Can I upgrade from Jira 7.13.5 (Enterprise Release) to Jira 8.5.2 (Enterprise release) directly?

Amit January 2, 2020

Enterprise releases are now called Long Term Support releases

As of June 29th, 2020, Enterprise releases are now called Long Term Support releases. The security bug fix policy for these releases was also updated - we will continue to backport critical security bug fixes and now when architecturally possible, all other security bug fixes are backported to the release for 24 months. To learn more about this change, view our Community post.

Hi Team,

Can I upgrade Jira Software from 7.13.5 (Enterprise Release) to Jira 8.5.2 (Enterprise release) directly?

I'm running on  7.13.5 (Enterprise Release)  so Can I straight away upgrade to Jira 8.5.2 (Enterprise release) on one go?

2 answers

0 votes
Sivarama Krishna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

We are using Jira Software 7.7.2 with SQL as Data Source on Windows Server on VMWare

Clone Copy received from IT Team for upgrade. So, my existing environment is same as test environment.

And installed JIRA Software 8.5.1 (Enterprise Release).

And also upgraded the Add-On(s). Discarded some unused plug-in.

No issues observed after completion of installation.

Planning to take downtime for Production server to upgrade.

This method is not suggested directly on production server (based on experts advise).

Experts suggest to upgrade to just before 8.0 version (7.xxx.xx) and then to 8.5.x.

But it worked without any issues.

Amit January 3, 2020

Hi Sivarama,

Thanks for your response. It seems we can directly go for upgrade.

Thank you again,

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Hi! 

You can upgrade, 

but don't forget about testing on test env. :) 

Some upgrade notes will help you.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-8-5-x-upgrade-notes-976781036.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/jira-8-5-enterprise-release-upgrade-guide-976161392.html

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Amit January 2, 2020

Hi Gonchik,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, I'm not having test environment available here. Any other suggestions please?

Thank you again.

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

Hi, if you don't have test ENV then it can be quite risky.

But if you have proper backup solution and time window for maintenance at night then you can try it and if something happen then just recover snapshot or something like that.

How big is your instance?

Like Amit likes this
Amit January 2, 2020

Hi Petr,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm planning on that way only.

My instance is not that big, it's quite small having 50 users.

Thanks again mate.

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2020

Then you can try it on your computer or local virtual machine. It's more secure and without stress, trust me. :-)

Like Amit likes this
Amit January 2, 2020

Thanks Petr.. Will give it a try. Appreciate your response.

Suggest an answer