Can I show story points on a Kanban (or any non-Scrum) Rapid board?

influitivedev May 28, 2012

Normally, we use the Scrum rapid board for all of our development, and it works great. One thing we want to do is add a second Rapid board for PMs to manage incoming requests, and move them from a parking lot to a prioritized, estimated backlog.

I didn't have too much trouble setting up a Rapid board for this (I just used our new "Parked" status and "Open" as the columns, and you can move things on or off the backlog by dragging), but I did notice that I can't see the story point indicator anymore. Is there any way to get this to show up on a non-Scrum Rapid board?

25 answers

2 votes
Mark Biro October 13, 2015

Hi there,

Plangle Editor gives you a "Backlog' view for your KanBan Boards. 

This actually enables you to set and see Story Points in the "Backlog view" for your Kanban Boards. (Like this: )

Hope this helps you.

Feel free to give it a try: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.plangle.editor

2 votes
Nathan Price January 1, 2014

+1

Our team would like the abilty to see estimates and story points on kanban's as well! We also use a Kanban board for our product owners and they need to be able to see the estimates so they can prioritize which issues get moved into sprints.

2 votes
Tomas Andersson September 26, 2012

I totally agree!

We have worked in Scrum with a customer for a long time but as we are now scaling down the project and move to a more maintenance/support mode (still developing new features when we have time though) we decided to move to a Kanban approach but want to use our existing backlog. It would be a lot easier if our product owner could se the story points on the Kanban board as he tries to prioritize the todo list rather than using some other view (i.e. the Classic Planning Board).

1 vote
Vineeth November 28, 2018

+1

1 vote
Andrew McGregor November 12, 2014

We need to understand how much backlog there is within this Kanban board over time to see if more resources should be added.  A view of story points in each state would be useful.  More velocity-charts would be useful here too.

1 vote
Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2013

Just noting this issue is tracked at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7265

1 vote
Matthew_Horoszowski August 23, 2012

I would like to second this request to be able to view and edit story points in a non-scum board. My company is facing a similar problem in that our Scrum based board's backlog was getting unrully with poorly defined and unestimated issues.

To resolve this we created some new status before hitting To Do, and a new Kanban style board for our Product Management team to make use of. They now have a large list of New issue they each grab to begin defining, which then get sent to an estimation status. Once enough storied build up in estimation the development team takes time out to run through them estimating them all at once, and moving them to ToDo.

Being able to view and edit the story points in the kanban board would make this entire process a whole lot easier.

0 votes
JeltzProstetnic May 28, 2020

+1

it is super-annoying to have to use a second row for each issue in the backlog just to see the estimation. I want the estimation indicator in kanban backlogs to work exactly the same as in scrum boards.

0 votes
Donny Harris May 13, 2020

+1

0 votes
Sergey Prodanov May 22, 2019

+1

0 votes
Lilia Eller September 5, 2018

+1

0 votes
David Linsey August 24, 2018

+1

0 votes
veronica.gilton May 31, 2018

+1

0 votes
rtretola May 25, 2018

+1

0 votes
Teresa Kwon April 27, 2018

+1

0 votes
AniruddhaJ January 22, 2018

+1

0 votes
Deleted user June 29, 2016

+1.  would like to see story points in kanban view.

0 votes
Simon Ha April 2, 2015

+1

0 votes
Gergely Csaba Nagy December 23, 2014

+1

0 votes
vgrinko May 28, 2014

Totally agree! +1

0 votes
Golubev Evgeniy April 10, 2014

+1

it would be very useful

0 votes
Hans-Hermann Hunfeld September 23, 2013

+1

We re using a Kanban board to show general priorities over all projects which are Scrum or Kanban. As the so-called priorization board is only used to show all issues with its status and priority and is a great help to see what s coming next (not limited to one project or board), but efforts are really missing here...

0 votes
Matthew_Horoszowski August 23, 2012

I would like to second this request to be able to view and edit story points in a non-scum board. My company is facing a similar problem in that our Scrum based board's backlog was getting unrully with poorly defined and unestimated issues.

To resolve this we created some new status before hitting To Do, and a new Kanban style board for our Product Management team to make use of. They now have a large list of New issue they each grab to begin defining, which then get sent to an estimation status. Once enough storied build up in estimation the development team takes time out to run through them estimating them all at once, and moving them to ToDo.

Being able to view and edit the story points in the kanban board would make this entire process a whole lot easier.

0 votes

(couldn't delete, but this should have been a comment)

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2012

As I understand greenhopper, story points are only implemented for the scrum views. I actually never seen story points outside of scrum (neither in greenhopper nor anywhere else).

Why don't you set up another scrum board?

Thomas,

We actually tried that - the problem is that Greenhopper has a "global" view of sprints so if something isn't in the current scrum, it's not going to show up on the other rapid board.

What we're trying to do with this rapid board is to give our PMs a mechanism to take things out of the backlog and into a parking lot, so we don't have to estimate things that aren't important to work on right now. We have about 200 items in our backlog right now, so it's pretty unworkable to try and keep that prioritized at all times. Plus, the Kanban approach actually makes sense for the backlog specifically (we can set a column constraint for the size of the backlog.)

Suggest an answer