Can I reorder the way the sprints appear in the backlog?

brenda weisz blanchetta February 6, 2018

Is it possible to adjust the way the sprints appear in the backlog?

At the moment it is shown in order of creation, not even on the startdate of the sprint.

I would like to order it on date or importance (when a start date is not created yet)

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2022

Updating this post to capture the reality of today...

Jira Cloud allows for rearranging of sprints by clicking on the ellipses as shown below. Obviously you cannot move a sprint above the active sprint.😉 this works for both CMP and TMP. At this time you can only move a sprint up/down one step at a time, I.e. no "move to top/bottom".

AEEF1F68-AB25-4569-B3C8-A71AFD7E1347.jpeg

Nicole Fuhr February 4, 2022

It would be so awesome if you could drag and drop sprints up and down the backlog view!

Like • # people like this
Rex Parsons July 26, 2022

@Jack Brickey I am not seeing the 'move up/down' options anymore.  Did those go away?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Reordering of Active sprints is not allowed. You can reorder sprints that are not yet started. Refer to

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17512

Hessel Offringa September 12, 2023

Would be nice to be able to rearrange sprint faster on the scrumboard: e.d. drag and drop - multiple sprints at a time and being able to move them to top or bottom :-)

1 vote
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2023

Hi all - I wonder if there is any idea/plan/JSWCLOUD ticket for allowing automatic ordering of sprints by the start date of a sprint. Glad to move sprints in the relevant order manualy but I think if it is automatically ordered in the chronological order with the start date, that makes more logical sense I think. Please advise?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

You can’t reorder. Sprints are chronologically ordered. You fill the sprint based upon the order you wish to tackle. If say S1 is active now and you create S2 and S3 in the Backlog then S2 should be the next sprint you want to tackle. Note you can always rearrange the content between Backlog sprints by selecting all issues and drag-drop into another sprint. 

brenda weisz blanchetta February 6, 2018

Thanks, that is a good work around!

sujoychakraborty93 May 6, 2019

Hi @Jack BrickeyI am creating multiple sprints (like 20 sprints) in one run using rest api . I can see that the id of the sprints were created sequentially like 100, 101, 102, 103 etc. But when i look into the board, they are not in order. For eg Sprint ID 102, Sprint ID 101, Sprint ID 103, Sprint ID 100 etc. I tried using the /rest/agile/1.0/sprint/{sprintId}/swap api, but irrespective of the number of ways i tried, reordering them in 100, 101, 102, 103.. is not happening. Using the swap api does do something, but i never understood what exactly it does. Appreciate your help in explaining if the swap api (/rest/agile/1.0/sprint/{sprintId}/swap) will work and if yes, how to make it work? And if not, then any alternative? 

Farina BP September 15, 2020

We are also experiencing the same issue, we have two active sprints and the second sprint is showing above the first. Checked the dates and any filters but not changed anything. Any clues?

Dave Koekebacker September 28, 2020

Im facing the same issue. sprint 11 appears below 12, 13, 14 and only above the not-yet started 15.

Like • Farina BP likes this
Davin Hoekstra January 14, 2021

I've experience this today as well. Somehow sprint 2 has been moved down below sprint 4 with all of its issues. No one knows how it happened so it is possible @jack 

Davin Hoekstra January 14, 2021

Found it

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 3.13.58 PM.png

William Stordeur January 6, 2022

This has been around a while.  It would be nice if you could move them over a few other sprints.  We recently moved to cloud from on-prem and my newer sprints created near the top.  I need to move each of them, 1 at a time to the bottom.  Not ideal.

Like • DAlan likes this
Carmen M Ramírez January 28, 2022

Thank you @David hoesktra. Very useful!! ;)

AP March 1, 2022

It does not work if the sprint is already started. If multiple sprints are already started - I don't know how it they are ordered, but certainly not by sprint dates or title. My started sprints are appearing in random order in the backlog. I find it very frustrating.

Adam Ziecik April 13, 2023

It is the same for me, I have even replicated the two active sprints in the Test environment and the order of them is the opposite to the production despite the fact of having the same titles and exactly the same start and end dates.

@Atlassian Support - do you know how does this actually work?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

@Adam Ziecik , if you wish to inquire with Atlassian support please use this link - https://support.atlassian.com/contact/# 

Adam Ziecik April 14, 2023

Thanks @Jack Brickey, I will try, but it is really a general question. What establishes the order of parallel active sprints in the backlog? It does not seem to be the start and end date and the name of the sprint.

Does anyone knows?

nortonlam May 16, 2023

I agree, this is very frustrating. Could someone from Atlassian please tell us how the sprints are ordered after they are started? We routinely have two sprints running at the same time and would like them in a particular order, but there is no way to change it.

Christine Donnelly August 21, 2023

I THINK it depends on which Sprint you Activate 1st vs 2nd.

Unfortunately I think it takes the most recently activated sprint (not the sprint you  1st activated) and puts that at the top of the backlog.
I know it goes against protocol to have multiple active sprints in 1 project,
however since Atlassian DID start to allow people to have multiple active sprints at the same time, then

there should be an enhancement:
a) (IDEAL) when multiple sprints are active at the same time, allow the active sprints to be re-ordered (moved up or move down in the backlog view by the user that has permission to Activate a Sprint)

b) OR default order of multiple active sprints should be top to bottom priority order with closest sprint end date to today at the top of the backlog.

Suggest an answer