Can I put a sub-task into a sprint?

Will Lord October 11, 2012

I have a task with an estimate of 2 weeks that has a sub-task with an estimate of 2 days. Is it possible to move the sub-task only into a sprint rather than the whole task? If I move the whole task (which we can't complete in a single sprint) it throws our stats out because the burndown always has an extra 2 weeks of incomplete work on it!

Do I need to turn the parent task into a story so that it won't be counted in the burndown or can I just place the sub-task into a sprint somehow?

2 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2012

John is right and at the moment the Rapidboard does not support Epics, but good news is that, it is coming soon.

0 votes
John Burns
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

The parent task sounds more like an epic than a user story. The bad news is that JIRA does not have a 3rd level in the heirarchy for Epics. I believe the preferred method is to use a custom label field called "Epic/Theme" for Epics.

Suggest an answer