Can I integrate slack with Jira such that I can create new issues in Jira from Slack?

Weston smith February 14, 2019

I want to be able to create a new issue or edit an existing issue etc in Jira from Slack, this this possible?

There addons in the market place that seem to do this, but I'm running the self hosted version of Jira and so far I have't found a solution that works with the self hosted version.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Just to update anyone that sees this. My last hope was Nextup ( https://www.nextup.ai/slack-jira-integration/) however after having a conversation with a rep from there it looks like the only way to get this to work is to have your self hosted version of Jira publicly accessible so that their integration can make api calls to Jira. Or purchase the self hosted version thats more expensive and runs in a docker.

Here's a quote from their rep: "In order to use our service you would need to have public DNS for your jira and be able to whitelist our static IP address to make calls to the Jira APIs.    We also offer a self hosted option that removes that need but is more expensive than our cloud offering. "

Anyway I hope atlassian can make this new partnering with slack a little more robust and actually integrate it with Jira and other tools. At present slack has essentially no integration with Jira other than atlassian says so. (unless your on cloud) I'm not sure why you'd roll out this 'new partnering' and obsolete your previous chat offerings when you're not actually integrated yet.

Nick Cron March 21, 2019

Hi all - at Nextup.ai we fully support Jira Server and self-hosted versions are not an issue.  I am not sure how we confused you @Weston smith 

It is true that we need to be able to communicate with Jira Server so the DNS information was valid.  With no DNS then our server has no idea how to contact your instance.  

Assuming you have DNS we just need your server to respond when we call for information and not to block inbound calls from our service.   We can provide our static IP to allow access if you have a firewall.  

We have 1,000s of customers running Jira Server and while we do offer a self-hosted version it is not needed if you just run Jira Server and solves a different use case.

0 votes
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2019

Hi @Weston smith, this currently isn't possible in our Jira Cloud or Jira Server integrations for Slack. It's something that we're looking at adding in the near future. You can track the status here -> https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/API-4

I take it that there are no third party addons that you are aware of that would allow this functionality for self hosted versions of Jira?

Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2019

I believe this is something that nextup.ai is capable of. https://www.nextup.ai/slack-jira-integration/

Like Nick Cron likes this

Thanks, I'm currently waiting for a response from them regarding this. They seem to only integrate with the cloud versions of Jira as part of the integration asks for your jira cloud URL.

Suggest an answer