Can I import Epics and Stories together in one CSV file?

James Wan November 2, 2017

Currently I have to do it in two steps. The 1st step is to import the Epics. After it's done, there are issues and issue keys for the epics. Then I need to update the Story CSV file with the issue keys just generated. I put them in the "Epic Link" column. This is to link stories with epics. Then I do the 2nd step to import Stories. Now I am wondering whether I can put the epics and stories together in one CSV file and finish the process in just 1 step. The problem is how I can link stories with epics as at this stage, the Jira issues for epics are not created yet. That means there is no Jira Issue Key to fill in the "Epic Link" field of the story items. Any idea?

1 answer

1 vote
Ofira Daniel November 26, 2017

You can use Structure add on . You can build there your items by Heirarchy (for example : Epic --> Story --> Sub task) and later export it to excel .

In excel Heirarchy and links to the jira items are kept .

I am using this add on for version tracking .

James Wan November 27, 2017

Ofira, thank you. Currently, my employer doesn't have that add-on installed, but from your description, I need to use that add-on to do planning. Then I export them to an excel spreadsheet. Actually, I am asking for the reversed process. My planning is done on an excel file and I want to import them to Jira. However, I have to do it in 2 steps. The 1st one is to import Epics. Then the 2nd step is to import stories with the Epic numbers generated by Jira. In step 2, the stories are linked with the epics. My questions whether this can be done in just 1 step to import Epics and Stories together in one file. 

Ofira Daniel November 29, 2017

When we did the migration from old tool to Jira , we also used excel and the DevOps company which did it , also did it in steps as you wrote above.

Sorry

James Wan November 29, 2017

Thank you. :)

Suggest an answer