Can I get subtasks enumerated based on the parent task, e.g. 1.1 and not by the next integer?

MSJ September 1, 2022

I see that the subtasks be assigned the next available integer number. For example, if the Task is 1 and there are 7 tasks, a subtasks under Task 1 will be assigned number 8 and not 1.1.

This is not a typical behaviour in the Gantt chart and general project work package numbering. Can one change that behavior?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @jolerapps,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The short answer is no, you cannot use an enumerated issue key, Jira will always pick the next available integer. There are ways of representing the hierarchy, either by Marketplace apps like JXL and Structure (or any of the other apps that can organize your issues based on hierarchy), or Roadmaps and Advanced Roadmaps in Jira. 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi, @jolerapps. As @Mikael Sandberg said, welcome to the community!

To add (very) little to what Mikael suggested, here's a sample marketplace search that shows some of the products that can help you visualize a hierarchy that way he describes.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.10.49 PM.png

Hi highlighted (in red) the relevant search criteria I used.  Both JXL and Structure show up in the list -- along with others.

Advanced Roadmaps  does not, bc it is an Atlassian Jira "option" you can obtain by upgrading to Jira Cloud Premium if you want to choose that option.

Hope this helps,

-dave

P.S. Full disclosure, I work for the company that makes Structure.

Like # people like this
MSJ September 2, 2022

Hi, Dave! Thanks for this addition to @Mikael Sandberg response. It helped by providing further info.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events