Can I fix the name of the first status, that I inadvertently changed in Production in 43 workflows?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2024

When I created a new workflow, in parallel in Production and the Sandbox, I added a new first status, connected Create to it, and removed the old first status, "To Do".  I didn't observe that that action changed the name of the first status in 43 workflows (not all may be active).  An admin has tried to remedy this at least in boards, but I don't know how to fix it short of copying each workflow, modifying the copy, adding it, deleting the old, and moving all issues to the new workflow--43 times.  The new workflow was published.  It was only added to one test project in Production (and the same project in the Sandbox), so I assumed it would not affect any other workflows.  I don't remember seeing a warning during the switch in first statuses, that my actions would affect other workflows.  

I actually created a second workflow after that, and noticed that the first status was now the new name instead of To Do, which should have told me that something was wrong, and I repeated the same procedure: Added a new status, connected Create to it, and removed the old status.

Is there anything our admin can do to fix workflows and boards?

In a chat, Atlassian Support suggested changing the name back in any workflow, and that appears to have worked.  An admin made some changes yesterday in individual projects, and had to move issues back into "To Do" today.

I was sure I had added a new status, connected the Create transition to it, and removed "To Do", which I would think would have left every issue in To Do without a status.

The lesson would seem to be to leave "To Do" or "Open" in place, and add new statuses after that one.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2024

I'm not 100% sure that I understand what you're trying to solve but, if you just want the new status name to be changed back to the old status name, an admin can edit the status to change the name, which will impact across the entire instance.

Of course, if the original status still exists on current workflows, that would be a problem, since you would have two statuses with the same name. I'm not sure if that's allowed but, even if it is, it's a terrible idea.

But, if you no longer have any workflows using the 'To Do' status, renaming the new status back to 'To Do' will automatically update all existing workflows.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2024

That is apparently what the admin did, and so far, it seems to have worked.  I still can't reconcile that with what I remember that I did--add a new status, switch Create to it, and remove "To Do".  Time will tell.  Meanwhile, there was no real reason to publish the new workflow, that is still not being used, and I should not have.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events