Can I create my own custom issue workflow scheme?

Aki Martiskainen February 23, 2018

Hello, a JIRA novice here!

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible for me to create my own custom workflow scheme for issues. So far I've failed, searched the WWW for info, failed again and frustrated.

I've managed to create new workflows but only pick a ready scheme to it, offered by JIRA.

The biggest issue at the moment is that our Service Desk needs to customize the workflow in order to be able to move issues  between "work in progress" status and "waiting for customer" status with ease. Our current workflow doesn't allow that and I thought the easiest way to tackle any and all current and future problems of the sort is to create my own workflow scheme and apply it to different projects.

Any help is appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

Hi Aki,

if you have already created your workflows, then you have to do these steps:

• go to the admin section and there to the  Workflow Schemes:

http://<your-jira-url>/secure/admin/ViewWorkflowSchemes.jspa

• Add a workflow scheme (Function is on the top right)
  • All issue types are assigned to the default Jira Workflow there - Now click on "Add Workflow -> Add existing"
  • Select your workflow and click "Next"
  • Select all the issue types the workflow should be assigned to and click "Finish"
  • You can repeat the last two steps with other workflows, so you can assign different workflows to different issue types
  • Then go to your project settings
  • Go to "Workflows" and switch the Scheme to your new one.

Have you already seen this page: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/working-with-workflows-828787890.html

There you can find detailed information to workflows and schemes.

But if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

Suggest an answer