Can I create multiple stories under one epic without having to select epic/team multiple times

Sholom R August 9, 2022

I'm creating multiple stories per epic. For each story I need to set the Epic and Team which means having to filter through all the epics/teams to get the one I want. This is causing extra work and I am wondering if there is a better way of going about this. I'm using the "Create" button from the top banner

3 answers

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 10, 2022

Hi @Sholom R

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would work very elegantly in the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing and inline-editing all your issue fields. You can also inline-create new issues, which, in combination with JXL's hierarchy and grouping capabilities, allows "pre-setting" both the epic link and the team for you.

Here's how this looks in action:

inline-creation-with-team-set.gif

Note that the new story is created within the WORK-150 epic, and has the team (BVB Dortmund) set. (In this case, the team is in a multi-select custom field, but it works with any field.) You can also pre-set multiple fields, through nested grouping.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Erik Unemyr_EMERGENCE August 9, 2022

Hi @Sholom R

You may want to try out the newly released Move and Organize for Jira app that provides a dynamic view of your Jira projects in a tree hierarchy. It allows you to very efficiently keep adding multiple tasks under a specific place in the hierarchy just using the keyboard and Enter key. Automatic assignment of new tasks is not a current feature, but could be considered.

It allows you to visually overview and also edit on-the-fly (create, edit, recursively move, delete et c) issues. Zoom and pan the tree view quickly and smoothly using keyboard shortcuts and mouse drag-n-drop support that enable you to work very efficiently also with larger projects!

Support Standard Screenshot.png

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or would like to provide suggestions!

With best regards,

Erik

Disclosure: I am a representative of the company offering this solution

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Hello @Sholom R 

Welcome to the community.

If you have an Agile board (Scrum or Kanban) where the issues are displayed, and that board has the Backlog screen enabled, and on the Backlog screen the Epics pane is displayed, then you can click the Create issue in Epic link. The Epic will be automatically selected when the Create Issue dialog is opened.

There is also a Create Issue option at the bottom of the Backlog issue list. If you click that the issue will also be automatically added to the highlighted Epic.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 10.34.24 AM.png

Is the Team value set at the Epic level? If the Team value is set at the Epic level and the same value needs to be set for all the child issues, that could be done automatically after the issue is created using an Automation Rule.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events