Can I configure a Column to hide Subtasks?

Yossi Geretz February 1, 2021

By the time we get a particular development item through to the Production (Done) column, we no longer care about the bitty technical sub-tasks. Can I configure the column so that only items will show, but not their sub-tasks?

Thank you for your advice!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yossi Geretz February 3, 2021

I created a column called Archived Subtasks. Then I deleted that column. That left me with an Unmapped Status - Archived Subtasks.

Unmapped.jpg

When items are transitioned to my Deployed to Prod column that fires a rule:

Archive Subtasks.jpg

I have another manually invoked rule which takes all items from my Staging column and transfers them to the Deployed to Prod column. When that happens, the rule above fires. If the item being transferred is a sub-task is is moved over to the Archived Subtasks column, otherwise it is simply left on the Deployed to Prod column. So what happens is, I see all the features ending up in the Deployed to Prod column, while the 'noise' of all the sub-tasks is eliminated.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

You could set the board filter to say something like "and !(status = done and issuetype in subtaskIssueTypes())", but this creates the problem that your sub-tasks, as part of their parent issue, cannot be done, so you won't be able to finish anything.

A better option is to live with the fuss on the board but give everyone a quick filter to hide subtasks.  People tend to find that quite handy for the whole board, not just the done column.

Yossi Geretz February 1, 2021

@Nic Brough Is it possible for me to define a column which is not shown on the Kanban board? I'd call it 'Archive' or something like that and when a parent Item is moved into our Production column I'd fire a trigger which would move all of its sub-tasks into the 'Archive' column. Thus, on the Production column all we'd see would be the parent item cards. Is this possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

It is, if you modify the workflow so that it has an "archive" status you can map into the archive column.  You could even not have an archive column at all, so sub-tasks would vanish from the board entirely (although you can only do that with classic projects/boards)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events