Can I block the reactivation of an automation triggered by the same event?

Augusto Nardin May 28, 2021

Hi, everyone!

When I put a card of a certain type on the Finished column, it triggers an automation.
I would like to know if I can block the reactivation of that automation. So that only the first time a drag that specific card to an specific column it triggers the automation.

Thank you

2 answers

3 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Hi Augusto,

Piggybacking off what Trudy said, I usually set a custom field value for that. I literally have a custom field called Generic Yes Field. It is a checklist field with just one value - Yes. 

When the first automation fires to that Status, then set the value of the field to Yes. 

In your automation rule, check to see that the field is empty before firing. 

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Hello @Augusto Nardin 

Welcome to the community.

If you somehow kept track in each issue that it had already been changed to a status in that column, then you could add a condition to your Automation rule to be evaluated after it was triggered to look for that information and not proceed if the info was present.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2021

Hi @Augusto Nardin 

Yes, and... to what Trudy and John note:

If you want to reduce the chance of tampering with that flag indicating the rule already ran (e.g. manual edit), consider having the rule add a specific comment string to check.  Those are more difficult to remove when not the commenting-user (i.e. Automation for Jira)

Best regards,

Bill

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events