Can I add the EPIC name to the headers of my board (Active sprint)

Brian Tilburgs
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2024

See example picture, is there a way to add epic to the headers?Jira-Wish.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2024

Hello @Brian Tilburgs 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Note that Epic Name has been deprecated in Jira Cloud. Epics just use the Summary field now, like all other issue types.

Are you working with a board for a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the panel on the left when you are viewing the board.

If the Group By (a.k.a. Swimlane) option for your board is set so that the swimlanes are by Story then the Epic Summary for the parent Epic of the story should automatically be displayed.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 6.05.04 PM.png

Brian Tilburgs March 5, 2024

We are using: https://xxxxxx-jira.prepend.net/

Looks like the Group by swimlane is set. 

But the EPIC is not showing

Can prepend fix this for us?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2024

Can you confirm if you are working with Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center?

If you click on the Dashboard menu and view any dashboard, at the very bottom of the display do you see Jira application version information, similar to this?

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 9.56.59 AM.png

If so, then you are using Jira Server or Jira Data Center rather than Jira Cloud.

If so, I found this unresolved Suggestion asking for that functionality.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-15015

Brian Tilburgs March 6, 2024

I don't see the info from the screenshot.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2024

What type of project(s) are in your board? You can find the project type (on a Jira Cloud system) by going to the Projects menu and selecting View All Projects. Then find the projects in the list of projects and tell us what it says in the Type column for them.

Can you provide a screen image of your board? You can obscure the details of the cards.

Are you able to access the board configuration by clicking on a three-dots button in the upper right corner and selecting the Configure or Settings option?

Brian Tilburgs March 7, 2024

jira-version.jpg

I finally found the version :-) it is not vissible in every view, just in the configure screen.

Can I share the reset of the details in a Direct Message of Webex session?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2024

The community does not have a direct message function, and I do not provide live support. I am just another user trying to help people solve problems in my spare time.

The fact that there is version information at the bottom of the screen means that you are not using Jira Cloud. Instead you are using Jira Server or Jira Data Center. The example screen I provided was from Jira Cloud.

Based on this unresolved issue it does not appear to be possible to show the parent Epic for the Story when using Stories for Swimlanes.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-15015

Suggest an answer