Can I add an 'Initiatives' level to my JIRA Agile?

Becky Sanger May 25, 2018

I am currently using JIRA Agile for a software project, and have Story and Epic levels but would like to add an Initiatives level above that.

I have found guidance to do this for 'Portfolio for Jira' but nothing for Agile. Is this possible in Agile?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

Hello @Becky Sanger

Jira Agile supports upto Epic panel, hierarchy is configurable only in the JIRA portfolio, thus only in the Portfolio you can add another level i.e. Initiative on top of Epic.

Though since Jira Agile boards are built on top JQL filters thus you can have the JQL filter fetch initiatives on your board, you will not be able to define the hierachy on these boards and initiative will be like just another issueType.

Hi @Tarun Sapra 

Thanks for getting back to me, that is really helpful and I had a feeling that would be the case. 

I can purchase JIRA Portfolio as an 'add on' can't I? 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

Yes Indeed @Becky Sanger you can search for portfolio in the "manage addons" section of your Jira and then in "find new addons" . You can buy it from Atlassian marketplace.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

You can also evaluate it for couple of months before buying it. Another plugin which might serve your purpose is "Issue structure plugin", I feel it has better reporting than portfolio.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/34717/structure-for-jira-projects-at-scale?hosting=server&tab=overview

That's very helpful, thank you @Tarun Sapra

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

Feel free to accept/upvote answer if it helped.

valentinos1968 November 1, 2018

ow can I add epics as sub-levels into an initiative?

Suggest an answer