Calculated end date for epics on new roadmap feature?

JP November 5, 2018

Hi,

Firstly thank you for including roadmaps directly inside Jira, we are looking forward to using this feature.

But I have one issue/question that I need to overcome before adopting.

We need the end date for epics on new roadmap feature to be automatically calculated (from story points) either directly entered onto the Epic or the associated tasks linked to the Epic. I don't want to set an end date, that defeats the whole point of agile and being able to predict product delivery.

Thanks
James

2 answers

2 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2018

Hi James,

Currently No, the functionality on the Due Dates of the epic are manually adjusted at this time. Additional details can be seen here:

There is already one Feature request that is partially related to your question viewable here:

Noting that this request is specific for adjusting the parent to the child due dates, But I have created a secondary Feature Request in regards to the story point adjusting the due date for you viewable here:

Also Please feel free to provide additional feedback on the new feature.

Regards,
Earl

JP November 8, 2018

Thanks @Earl McCutcheon

I think it would be highly beneficial if those end dates were generated dynamically based on a teams velocity. Rather than a static specified date, as it gives a more realistic completion date, instead of a "finger in the air" prediction.

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2018

Hi James,

Happy to help out and please make sure to add your vote to the requests as well as it really helps us out in tracking interest in new features as covered in the Implementation of New Features Policy

Regards,
Earl

Paul Carboon September 9, 2019

Has this feature been implemented yet?  I just tried it and it didn't seem to work.

I totally agree, this would be an amazing feature if it were possible to do so.

Like JP likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2019

Hi Paul,

Both feature requests are still open and unresolved at this time.

We do not have any ETA as to when or if the features will be implemented, But we do add items to the public roadmap that are in-progress coming down the pipeline as accepted and is a good place to keep track of what is immediately on the horizon for Jira Cloud.

Some additional details on how we approach New features can be seen in the previously mentioned   Implementation of New Features Policy with more additional useful information on differences in approach between features and Bug covered in the Atlassian Bug Fixing Policy 

As covered in the Documentation we track interest via votes and comments as two of the main sources of input.  Also, as comments are concerned we review all the comments for input on features, so we can align the features with expectations, and the more feed back we receive the better a picture we get for how users want the features to look.  Make sure to add a vote to the features and if you have time to do so add a comment noting your use case and how this is impacting you vs what you would like to see out of the feature to help aid in the design process.

Regards,
Earl

0 votes
Darja Odorovska December 22, 2020

Hi,

Has someone registred the ticket for implementation.

Suggest an answer