Caesium-1-3 ERROR ServiceRunner ...Error while refreshing rate limiting settings:

Sue Bridges February 8, 2021

Hi,

JIRA 13.3 - trying to examine some log file errors.  What's it doing and how to fix the error?

This is in a JIRAService stdout .  Presumably some automatic JIRA housekeeping looking at the times of it.

2021-02-07 23:06:44,037+0000 Caesium-1-3 ERROR ServiceRunner [c.a.r.internal.settings.SettingsReloaderJob] Error while refreshing rate limiting settings:
com.atlassian.jira.transaction.TransactionRuntimeException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Error occurred while starting transaction. (Listener refused the connection with the following error:
ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
)

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

This error happens when an Oracle database cannot be found.

What are you running that connects to an Oracle database? 

Also, can you give us the actual Jira version?  13 isn't due out for a long long time

Sue Bridges February 9, 2021

Hi Nic,

Apologies, Jira Server 8.13.3.

Jira uses the Oracle database and it is up and running, which is why I am asking the question.  Jira works fine against it.  I am also interested in what the housekeeping task actually is.

Thanks

Sue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

Ok, this suggests a transient error with your TNS service - for some reason Jira could not reach it at that time, or it did not respond.

Sue Bridges March 22, 2021

Hi,

I think everything is OK from the Oracle side, but the Listener can be a pain.  How can I check what connect descriptor it's using is as that's the key here?

I am also interested as to why JIRA would be performing this operation anyway.  Checking what Rate Limiting is, it relates to JIRA Service Centre which we don't have.  I can't set Rate Limiting under System (I'd turn it off if I could I think).

Thanks

Sue

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events