Burndown chart is burning down before the very last column

Gestor MaisVida March 29, 2019

Hi, everyone, 

I have two boards in the same project, the first one is a DEV board and the other is the TEST board, both with 4 columns. 

DEV Board columns

TO DO | DOING | SEND TO TEST | DONE

The developer only transit from TO DO to DOING  and finally to SEND TO TEST. 

TEST Board columns 

TO TEST | TESTING | FAIL | DONE

The Tester can transit cards in all Columns of his Board. 

When DEV team move a card from DOING to TEST, it is shown on TO TEST of TEST Board and when the Tester move from TESTING to FAIL it is shown on TO DO of DEV Board.

The problem is:

My Burndown chart is burning down when the Tester is moving the card from TO TEST to TESTING, and when the card is moved to FAIL, burndown chart burns up. 

I need that burndown chart only burn down when card is moved to DONE. 

I have no ideia how to fix it. 

Can anybody help-me? 

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2019

Hi...  Which of your status types are "todo", "in progress", and "done" types?

When an issue is moved to one of the "done" column types, it could lead to the item showing as completed and so "burning up".

Gestor MaisVida March 30, 2019

Hi @Bill Sheboy , I'll show you my "Column management"

DEV BOARD

DEV_BOARD.png

TEST BOARDTEST_BOARD.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Hi @Gestor MaisVida 

Are these two Scrum teams with different sprints on the same backlog, or two Kanban teams on the same backlog, or something else?

Just to confirm, your workflow has these statuses, correct?

• "todo" status values: Todo, Fail, Looks Good, Bug A Corrigir
  • "in progress" status values: In Progress, Send to Test, Testing
  • "done" status values: Closed, History Not Testable, Subtask Not Testable

And, several of the statuses are unmapped on each board, but showing on the other board, correct?

Best regards,

Bill

Like Gestor MaisVida likes this
Gestor MaisVida April 1, 2019

Hi, @Bill Sheboy  

that's right, every statuses you mention, are right.

I have one workflow, two boards but only one sprint. But when we transit the card from TO TEST to TESTING, the Burndown chart is "burning down". 

Best regards, 

Erik

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2019

Hi, @Gestor MaisVida 

Thanks... I recall the burn chart works using the idea that the leftmost column is "todo stuff" and the rightmost column is "done stuff", with everything between as "in progress stuff".  When issues reach the rightmost column, burn up occurs.

Looking at your boards' status types and positions on the board, and the unmapped status values, there might be a hiccup...

Try this: for each board, change the filter to *only* include status values which should appear on the board.  That will exclude any of the unmapped status values from producing impacts on any burn charts.

For example, your Test board filter might be:

project = X AND status IN ("Send to Test", "Looks Good", Testing, Fail, Closed)

Best regards,

Bill

Like Gestor MaisVida likes this

Suggest an answer