Burndown chart and remaining time estimate

Thomas Nicholls May 6, 2014

Hi all,

I have my backlog estimated in days rather than story points. I have created sub-tasks from my stories in days too. I have configured my board to use "original Time Estimate" as the estimation statistic and have set "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent" for time tracking.

My problem: In a sprint, when looking at the burndown chart, the "Remaining Time Estimate" on the left hand side is an aggregrate of the story plus all of the sub-tasks. This is misleading in our workflow because the story estimate is our initial estimate, whereas the sub-tasks are our actual estimates. By adding these two together, the amount of work to be done is extremely inflated.

This doesn't appear to be a problem if the backlog estimates are in story points.

Also, if I set time tracking to "none", the remaining Time Estimate becomes our original backlog estimates (which is OK), however we don't see any progress on the burndown chart until the entire story is complete. I'd rather see progress as sub-tasks are completed.

My question: Is there any way I can configure my board such that the Remaining time estimate in the burndown chart is my original story estimate from the backlog but have the burndown reflect progress as sub-tasks get completed?

Thanks very much,

Aaron

2 answers

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

Hi @Thomas Nicholls & @Marcelo Fernand 

Try our Great Gadgets app. It includes sprint / release burndown chart gadgets that can calculate by time remaining  & time spent. Also, it offers an option to include subtasks. 

For more details, please read this blog post.

SprintBurndownByTimeRemainingTimeSpent1.png

Danut 

0 votes
Marcelo Fernandes September 25, 2015

I'am also very interested in this!

Suggest an answer