Burndown - Is it possible to configure different Sprints to use different Estimation Statistics?

Ricardo Gomes September 20, 2019

Hello!

We are currently using the same project in Jira for different initiatives so we basically have many sprints running in parallel and on the same board. Some of them would like to use a different option other than Story Points (for instance, Issue Count) for estimation (which is reflected in your burn-down). However, the way a board is set up now is that the option you select under the Board Configuration will be set to sprints all across that project so we can't configure a different option for any of the existing sprints.

One of our use cases is that sometimes we only address bugs in our sprint and we don't story-point them, so in that case, we need a burndown chart that shows the burndown based on issue count instead of story-points. But unfortunately, if we change that on the board config it will affect all the other sprints.

I don't think there's a way around this but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Ricardo Gomes September 23, 2019

Hi @Bill Sheboy, thanks for your response!

I'm in fact using parallel sprints. We have different projects from different clients that we want to be able to visualize and have one board for, hence why a single board.

Therefore, all of our sprints are on that same board and running in parallel.

As far as not being able to configure them individually, that's what I suspected... but since allows you to run parallel sprints, it would be nice if they could configured individually thou.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

Hi @Ricardo Gomes 

Thanks for clarifying! 

As an alternative to parallel sprints, you could:

• Have different scrum boards for the different teams, and
  • Create a single Kanban board just to roll-up the information for visibility purposes.
  • Teams would work on their scrum board, providing different reporting options, and you would treat the Kanban board as a view-only one.

Best regards,

Bill

Ricardo Gomes September 23, 2019

Thanks, @Bill Sheboy

Appreciate the feedback!

That might end up being the way we'll have to go.

Thanks. Cheers,

Ricardo

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

Hi @Ricardo Gomes 

Quick initial question: how are you managing different sprints on one board?

Reports and charts are associated to a board and its filter.  If you had different boards you could have different sprints and reports running at once...each with different reporting criteria and board/report filters.

If you are using the parallel sprints feature (disclaimer: which I have not used), I do not believe it allows different reporting for the sprints.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer