Burndown Chart and Active Sprint show different story points. Why?

Jason Hayman December 3, 2020

I am seeing different story points in the active sprint than I am in the burndown chart for the same sprint. I don't know why.

The active sprint shows 10 issues with story points, 24 in total. The burndown chart for this sprint shows 8 issues with story points, 20 in total. Why are these different? What am I missing?

Please see the attached screenshots for additional detail.

SP_on_active_sprint-2.pngsp_in_burndown_chart.png

3 answers

0 votes
Alex Ortiz June 17, 2022

@Jason Hayman Did you ever get a resolution for this?  I'm currently experiencing this issue and was wondering if you got an answer from Atlassian.

Jason Hayman June 17, 2022

I did not get any satisfying answers. It's been a while, but I don't think I ever submitted this to Atlassian. I moved on and don't recall encountering it again. Maybe it is a rare bug or simple anomaly.

0 votes
Jason Hayman December 3, 2020

Thanks for the direction, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I compared 4553, which is not in the burndown, to 4931, which is in the burndown. They have the same issue type, same status; I can't find any difference.

And I compared 3285, not in the burndown, to 5039, is in the burndown. They are the same issue type. Status was the same for this screenshot, but different now. I don't see any difference here either.

Any other ideas to investigate?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2020

I'm a bit stuck.  There should be something on the issues which is making them be deselected on the board.

A bit more debugging/long-shots

• Does a search for Sprint = "Teams Sprint 2020.25" return 10 or 12 issues?
  • Do all 12 issues appear on the active board?
  • Are there any quick-filters on the active sprint board?
Jason Hayman December 4, 2020
  • The search returns all 12 issues.
  • All 12 issues appear in the active sprint and in the backlog view. Two are missing from the burndown chart.
  • There are no quick filters on in the active sprint. That wouldn't affect the burndown chart anyway, would it?

I'm stumped, too. I think I'll send this in to support. I do appreciate the help, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Any other ideas are welcome, though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2020

Quick filters were a total long shot, they should have nothing to do with it, exactly as you suspect.

With the index tests (search and board), I can't think of anything that could be dropping the two issues from the chart.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

What are the issue types and status of the two missing issues?

Could you compare 4553 with one that is going into the chart ok (I picked that because it looks like it might be very similar to some of the others, so it might be easier to spot a difference)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events