Boards showing multiple active sprints

Peter Dittman August 26, 2013

With the upgrade to JIRA Agile 6.3, my boards are now showing multiple ACTIVE sprints. Wasn't the model that a Sprint belonged to a single board?

Since board filters usually grab issues by project (or a subset), I have many boards that are now unintentially showing multiple Sprints (sprints for different teams). Issues in my backlog are in different sprints on different boards.

If a board can have only one Active Sprint (greenhopper labs: parallel sprints turned off), then how do I change/fix the board's display to SHOW only one Active Sprint? I understand that other issues might be on other team's boards, but that's confusing to the viewer of the board (my Scrum teams).

Further, the REST API (sprintquery) now returns more than one ACTIVE sprint for a board - again, I thought that was not allowed. How can I programatically get the active sprint for a board?

Am I missing something?

I want to have a visual queue about the direct BOARD<->SPRINT connection. How can I do this?

Sometimes, it'd be good to see if issues in my backlog are being handled by other sprints (e.g., multiple scrum teams working out of a common backlog), but I want some visual queue (and codification in the REST API) to know of the board<->sprint relationship. Perhaps a board-specific configuration (view concurrent sprints) or something like that.

1 answer

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

As far as I have understood the JIRA Agile release notes multiple active sprints are indeed possible on one board. The difference now is that after the board migration a story can ONLY be in one sprint, which has been different until now...If your filter includes multiple projects or issues in different sprints, the sprints are being displayed on that particular board...Correct me if I'm wrong...

Peter Dittman August 26, 2013

Christian, this is what I'm seeing - multiple sprints on a particular board. But there's still the notion of ownership - a board can have only one sprint defined.

I want to be able to identify which sprint belongs to which board. For custom reporting, I want to report on sprint contents for each Scrum team - to do this, I grab the contents of the Active sprint from each board - but I don't see a way to get the 1/1 mapping between board and sprint.

Suggest an answer