Board with multiple projects becomes the default board for any project contained in it - why

Jewel Mack July 19, 2017

I created a board that contains a filter pulling in all the issues related to one department within IT and now that board shows as the default for all related issues .... this is the filter .. 

project in (AEM62, SI, DWR, BF, CARERAD, CPW, CRU, CAMGR, DIP, DIRB, EE, FMG, FSPW, FSWR, EDI, IMAGE, SVC, PEGA, PEGAAUTO, PG, PPW, RH, RP, RU, RMR, SA) ORDER BY Rank ASC

So for each project (AEM62, SI, DWR, etc.) this board displays as the default - how do I stop that from happening? 

2 answers

1 vote
Richard King September 12, 2018

Sorry for exhuming this old thread, however I've hit this issue too, and I'm wondering whether you found a solution.

In my case I have Project A and Project B, each with their own board. I want to show some tickets from Project B on the board for Project A. I therefore changed the Project A board filter query to: "Project = A OR Project = B AND labels = "A-Team" ORDER BY Rank ASC." I then added the "A-Team" label to the issues in project B that I wanted to appear on Project A's board.

This had the effect of not only making Project A's board visible to Project B but making it the default board for Project B!

I can't exclude B-Team members from the Project A board filter permissions because there are B-team people who need access to both.

If anyone knows how to either fix this or achieve the effect I'm after in some other way I'd appreciate hearing about it!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2018

@Richard King, I suggest you try creating a new board in project A altogether and observe the results.

Richard King September 12, 2018

I started off by creating a new board in project A however it had the same effect.

Boards aren't scoped to projects, right? As soon as a board displays a ticket from a project, it becomes visible in that project, so a new board has the same problem as modifying an existing one.

I found this relevant issue after posting here. It has 460 votes but no solution as yet :(

I should mention I'm using Jira Server v6.4.7.

I've almost worked around the problem by implementing the reverse rule in Project B. The effect is now limited to Jira remembering the board you were viewing when you switch projects, and it's therefore possible to be viewing Project B's board from Project A. If you create a new ticket while in this state it defaults to Project A even though it looks like it will be created in Project B, so one has to be careful when creating tickets. The configuration also disables adding tickets directly from the backlog: you have to use the create view.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2017

I noticed this as well. In my case for the project in question the 'shared' board was the only board I had that included the project. I was going to try, but have not yet, creating a project specific board in addition to the 'shared' board and see what happened. Basically, what is shown as the default board if you have many boards for a given project? The first one created, the last one, the most recent viewed, the coolest one, etc.

Suggest an answer