Board with epics (and as a result stories) linked to a specific label

Floo Veraghtert November 30, 2021

Context

We are an organization that is supporting several applications.

Each JIRA project is an application -> for example Discimus, Opibus are applications.

This is the application dimension.

We also have a business dimension. And we would like a board for every business project (!= JIRA project because JIRA project = application).

A business project has the goal to improve a business process that runs across several applications.

An example of a business project is ‘Omkaderingen’.

So we made a cross-project board where we filter on the epics with label = Omkaderingen.

Filter for this board: project in (DISC, OPI) AND labels = Omkaderingen

I expected to find only the issues (stories) linked to these epics with label = Omkaderingen in my flat backlog & my scrum (active sprints) board.

But this is not the case. All issues (stories) are visible, even the ones that don’t belong to an epic with label = Omkaderingen.

We also user the User Story Map of Easy Agile and here my expectation was fulfilled. I only find the epics with label = Omkaderingen & as a result only the stories linked to these epics.

Question

Is there a way to have the flat backlog & scrum (active sprints) board with only the issues that are related to an epic with label = Omkaderingen? 

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

Can you share your board filter? I wonder why your business does dimension is defined by an Epic vs label? If you use labels you need to ensure it is on all issues under the epic.  

Hi Jack, 

Thank you for your answer. Filter: 

project in (DISC, OPI) OR project = eai AND labels = Omkaderingen

Context:

project eai = epics agodi instellingen 

disc = application a (is a project in JIRA)

opi = application b (is a project in JIRA)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

So based on your filter I would expect to see the following:

• all issues in DISC and OPI projects
  • Only issues in EAI project that have the Omkaderingen label

if that is not what you see can you please detail what you are seeing that you wish excluded?

Hi Jack, 

That is indeed what I see. 

What I wish to see:

I made a board 'Omkaderingen' to monitor the issues related to the business goal Omkaderingen. So I wish to exclude the issues that belong to epics that aren't linked to the Omkaderingen label. 

As there are also issues in de DISC project & the OPI project that belong to another business dimension. Every issue in het DISC & OPI project is linked to an epic (from the EAI project). And I would like to divide these epics in business dimensions: business goal A = Omkaderingen & business goal B = SomethingElse.

Kind regards, 

Floo

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2021

Hello @Floo Veraghtert ,

Epics can be shared between two different projects.

But Labels can be only available within the project level. may be  due to this reason. you may not able to view the results based on Labels.

Thanks,

Kagithala Babu Anvesh

Hello Kagithala Babu Anvesh, 

Thank you for your answer! Ok suppose I have an Epic: ' do A ' that has a label = Omkaderingen

This epic has 2 stories: 

1 story  is linked to project Opibus

1 story is linked to project Discimus

It is not possible to have a kind of rule that says: 

If the epic has a label = Omkaderingen, alle user stories that belong to this epic also have a label = Omkaderingen ? 

The label on all the user stories should be added manually? Although (I think) the relation between epic & user story is 'a user story belongs to one epic'.

Kind regards, 

Floo

Suggest an answer