Board Configuration - Column Management - Set resolution

Christian Jones November 20, 2017

I'm trying to tick "Set resolution" on my Done column and the checkbox won't stick.  If I refresh or navigate away from configuring the board and return, the checkbox is unchecked.

I did test ticking another box and it stuck. Does anyone have any ideas?  We just upgraded to 7.6, the issue existed in 7.4 as well.

2 answers

1 vote
Antonio D'Errico April 11, 2019

this feature does not make any sense to me as a jira-admin und consultant since jira exist.

why this feature exist? why does the board admin have the possibility to define it if the jira-admin has to define it in the postfunction anyway?

i really can't understand it.

sorry.

Anne Warmer February 24, 2021

I agree, Antonio. But I think it's not available in Jira Server 8.5.5 anymore, anyway. 

But I am still looking for a Best Practice to handle resolutions in simplified workflows (since I am not supposed to edit them). 

If I do it anyway and set the resolution via a postfunction. I also need to a add a postfunction to clear the resolution if the ticket is reopened. If the Project admin creates a new status, a Jira admin needs to set the according postfunction. Project admins tend to forget that - and I can't really blame them.

Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Best, Anne

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi Christian,

I am not sure why the board configuration page would behave this way for you.  However I am interested to see if you can actually edit the workflow being used in place here.   If there is a single workflow that encompasses all the issues that appear on this board, then you should be able to View/Edit the transition that is called to move this issue into the Done state.

From there you can then take a closer look at the post-functions of that specific transition.   If it does not already exist there, you can set a new post function to update the resolution field to have a specific value.   In my sample Jira Software simplified workflow, this already exists.   You can also follow the Working with Workflows: Advanced configuration guide in order to set this up.

setres1.png

If the workflow is setup this way, it will ensure that issues that execute that transition set that transition.

I'm wondering if you can't set this because perhaps the filter you're using to bring objects into this board then requires that multiple workflows are having to be followed because the issues originate from different projects with different workflows, or the same project that has different workflows for different issue types.

I could see some sort of scenario like that where there isn't a single workflow for the board and hence the checkbox might not be applicable to all issues that would appear there when executing such a transition.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Christian Jones November 27, 2017

I'm going to do my best to answer your questions.  For starters, I do not have full Jira Admin access.  I have Jira Admin for my project and rights to configure the board.  We only have one project and one board.  We are on version 7.6.0.

Editing Workflow: I'm using the Simplified Workflow.  Transitions are All to each status.

Post Functions: I don't see any options for this.  Looking at the text view of the workflow, each status says "There are no transitions out of this status" and the To column is blank.

My screen doesn't look like the screenshot you attached. Possibly I don't have the rights?

Through additional testing, I can successfully reorder columns.  Clicking the Set resolution only works on one column and that's named Blocked.  The other 5 columns, the setting won't stick.

Christian Jones November 29, 2017

Of note, I sat with our Jira Admin, I don't have rights to edit Post Functions on the transition.  We aren't sure how to give me that access without increasing my rights.

Also of note, the Blocked transition sticks. Clicking the transition, it says Managed by Jira and none of the other say that.  It also has 6 Post Functions while the rest only have 5.  Does any of this help?  Our Jira Admin who isn't a Jira expert would prefer I can manage my own transitions and workflow, but he doesn't want to provide too much access to the Jira ecosystem. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

If you're Jira instance is running 7.4 or higher, then your Jira System Admin could grant you project level admin access.   This would allow you to make changes to the workflow of this specific project, but not other projects or system wide settings.

This feature is mentioned in the 7.4 release notes.  In order for this to be able to work though, this specific workflow needs to not be shared with any other projects.

Suggest an answer