Bitbucket Server Trial: Could not establish database connection

Eduardo Rodriguez Jr. August 2, 2017

My JIRA Software is connected to the same database, only in its Database Name I put 'jiradb;instance=JIRA' instead of just 'jiradb'.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 21.28.57.png

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2017

Hi Eduardo,

Bitbucket and JIRA have different requirements in regards to databases.  In the Connecting Bitbucket Server to SQL Server documentation under Set the collation type you will see that Bitbucket requires this should be case-sensitive, for example, 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS' (CS = Case Sensitive).

In the Connecting JIRA applications to SQL Server 2012 documentation you will see it requires a case-insensitive collation:

Collation type must be case-insensitive. We support 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI' and 'Latin1_General_CI_AI' as case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, and language neutral collation types. If your SQL Server installation's collation type settings have not been changed from their defaults, check the collation type settings.

At this point you will need to create a database per the instructions in Connecting Bitbucket Server to SQL Server.

Cheers,

Branden

Eduardo Rodriguez Jr. August 2, 2017

Hi Brendan,

I believe the instruction below refers to the database I just created when I was connecting JIRA applications to SQL Server 2012. The database collation was set to 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI'Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 11.11.24.pngBut looking at the Server Collation the value is 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS'. Do I need to change the Server Collation, is this what you meant?

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 11.16.29.png

Thanks,

Ed

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2017

Hi Ed,

If you are connecting your JIRA instance to that database that is fine as that is the correct collation for JIRA.

You will need to create a second database for BitBucket and make the collation for that SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS.

As you can see the main differnce is the CI as oppsed to the CS which indicates case sensitivity.

Cheers,

Branden

Eduardo Rodriguez Jr. August 3, 2017

Hi Branden,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I recognize the difference between the two, I just thought Bitbucket and JIRA Software would use one and the same database. If that's what BitBucket requires (as I reviewed and reread that you stated it in your first sentence in your first reply), then there'd be no other way but to create another database.

Cheers,

Ed

Suggest an answer