Best practises - Integrating Jira & Jira service desk

Naresh Pothula June 5, 2019

Hi Team,

* Could you please help me with information. We are running Jira on AWS standalone machine. Now, we would like to set up a Jira service desk in our infrastructure. What will be the best practices to set this up and finally we would like to integrate both Jira and Jira service desk?

* Jira instance running on M5.large. If we want setup Jira service desk is best to set up on a different instance or I can install service the same machine which Jira is on?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

It really depends on what you need to do. If you want to add a Service Desk for the same set of users (and are ok with adding more users to the existing Jira instance,) the easiest thing to do would be to add the JSD license to your existing Jira instance. You may need to increase the JVM max heap to support the additional load, though. There would be no need for another server/VM if you go this route.

If the plan is to use JSD for external customer support, you may not want to expose your Jira instance to the internet and you may not want external users polluting your internal instance. In this case, it may make more sense to set up a separate JSD instance.  If you want to do escalations to Engineering, this makes life more difficult, though.  There are some 3rd party Apps that you can use to synchronize issues between Jira instances, do remote linking, etc, but there are limitations and it makes administration more difficult.  

If you can provide some more details on what you want to do, I should be able to give you better advice.

Naresh Pothula June 6, 2019

Thanks for your reply on this. Helpful information.

3 votes
Łukasz Krupa August 28, 2019

Hi @Naresh Pothula 

(I am IssueSYNC Product Owner)

You can also use existing solution to synchronize multiple Jira instances like IssueSYNC. It works for:

- cloud

- server

- data center deployments and supports different Jira version 6, 7, 8 and Jira editions

- Core

- Software

- Service Desk.

What may be important in that case are comments synchronization. With IssueSYNC you can decide what will be a public comment or private. You may reflect also Request Type for better tickets categorization.

If you have questions, please contact us.

Łukasz

2 votes
Riddhi Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

Hello @Naresh Pothula

As mentioned by @Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting], if you're looking to add Jira SD as a second instance, synchronization might be the solution.

I'm Riddhi from the Exalate team, which is a live sync tool.

Exalate is made for your use case as it allows syncing information bi- and uni-directionally between multiple Jira instances. Or separate projects in your local Jira.

You'll be able to sync all types of information, including comments, attachments and custom fields. You can control what to sync and what not, and much more ....

It can also cater to the situation of dealing in a private to public sync (External use situation), You can find out more about it here.

1.png

By the way, It might also be useful to set up a live video-discussion to demonstrate how Exalate would get set up for your use case

Would that be valuable to you? If so, you can book a suitable slot here.

Cheers,

Riddhi

Naresh Pothula June 6, 2019

Thanks, Ridhi for your reply. Will look into this and get back to you.

Suggest an answer