Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Best practice to deal with a 1-subtask:M-stories relationship ?

Hello,

Is there a leading view on what is the best practice to deal with a single sub-task that helps complete several user stories?

I know that only one parent can be defined, and that I can use linked issues to track it in some way. But should I:

1. Choose 1 story to be the parent and link the sub-task in all other user stories as "is blocked by"?
  2. Create empty sub-tasks in all other user stories that are linked to the "main" sub-task as"clones"?
  3. Create a task rather then a sub-task completely outside the user stories?
  4. any other way?

I want to make sure it's easy to work with and also clear when viewing the roadmap.

Any view point would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Um, no, that is not what sub-tasks are for.

A sub-task is a part of it's parent, it has nothing to do with items outside the parent story.  By definition, a sub-task cannot block anything outside its parent, it's not part of other things.

What you're describing is a a dependency, not a sub-task, and the best way to do them is pull them out as stories in their own right.

Options 3 and 4 are the best way to represent that something is blocking something else.  I'd use a mix of them.

Option 4 is the right way to do it - you should be linking things that the sub-task blocks to the parent story.  The sub-task itself is just part of the story, it's not going to get delivered until the story is, and it's really the story that's blocking the others, not a fragment of it.

Option 3 creates an independent story, so when you find a sub-task that genuinely could be done outside its parent, that should be a story in its own right.

Option 1 is not a bad thing to do if you insist, but it's not very representative of the reality - it makes out sub-tasks to be something that they are not.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,377 views 36 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you