Best practice for managing administrative privilege at JIRA project space (on premise version)

Winnie Yip August 24, 2022

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to allow my project teams to use JIRA. I need someone with privileged access at JIRA such that thy could create / edit / delete different components such as workflow etc. for various teams.

Could you share with me some nest practice I should follow during the assignment? Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

Hello @Winnie Yip 

Welcome to the community.

With the native Jira Server/Data Center functionality, permissions to manage the various components is allocated to different roles.

Typically Jira Administrators have access to edit everything - create projects, fields, screens, schemes, workflows, and modify the application of those to Projects. You cannot limit the access of Jira Administrators. They will have access to edit everything for all projects.

Project Administrators may have access to modify the workflow for their own project in limited ways if they are also a Board Administrator for a Board that references only that project and if the project uses a Simplified Workflow.

There is also a feature within the permission scheme under the Administer Projects permission called Extended Project Administration. When that is enabled the Project Administrator has some additional permissions to update Screens for that project. For more information on Extended Project Admin permissions consider this course in Atlassian University.

https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/993669

It is recommended that you grant the Jira Administrator level of permissions to a smaller group of people. The changes made by Jira Administrators can potentially affect all projects or multiple projects in the Jira instance. Jira Administrators need to deeply understand how changes they make will affect the users. 

I have also found it critical to track the changes being made. In companies I've worked at we have used Jira itself to track change requests that require Jira Admin permission to implement.

I hope you find that information helpful.

Winnie Yip August 24, 2022

Thanks very much for sharing

Suggest an answer