Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Best Practice Question -- Clone vs Breakdown vs Change Assignment on Issue shared across teams?

I've done work using all these methods, but I am looking to see what everyone feels is a best practice.

Scenario:

• Customer submits an intake in JSM project
  • Ops team triages and determines they will do the work
  • The Business Area (high level team) has more than one dev team who have to do work for each intake

Questions:

• Do they create ONE linked issue in JSM to the dev team (first team needing to do work) Jira Software project THEN expect that first team to reassign/move that single issue to the next dev team project?

• Do they create multiple linked issues - one per dev team - from JSM to Jira Software so each dev team has their own issue?

I am thinking the second option as dev teams here need to know about incoming work with as much advanced notice as possible.    The dev team can take that linked issue and break it into Sub-Tasks as they need.   I'd love to know how everyone does this.    Thanks

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Samuel Community Leader Sep 08, 2022

It shouldn't be the dev team's responsibility to manage who does what work, that's for your high level teams to manage. Dev teams should be aware of what's in their backlog and self-organize to get their work done. The business team can/should create multiple issues if that is needed to track the work across multiple teams, and set up the relationships in Jira as such to reflect that.

The second approach is the more sound approach to me.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall Community Leader Sep 08, 2022

Hi @Gail Boozer - Agree with the second approach.  I will typically go with JSM for intake  and source of truth for interaction with the customer.  The sausage factory remains linked, but isolated so that dev teams can work their respective issue(s) according to their processes. 

While linking issues can create their own headaches, moving issues between teams is worse, especially for reporting.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events