Berechnung der Dauer / Calculation of the duration

Deleted user October 8, 2020

Berechnung der Dauer

Frage 1. Das Datum 'Erstellt' wird gesetzt, wenn ich ein JIRA Ticket anlege, wie oder wann bekommt das Ticket aber den Status 'Erledigt'?
Frage 2. Wie kann ich in JIRA die Dauer vom erstellen eines Tickets bis dieses erledigt ist, berechnen bzw. mir anzeigen lassen?

-----------------------------------------

Calculation of the duration

Question 1: The date 'Created' is set when I create a JIRA ticket, but how or when does the ticket get the status 'Completed'?
Question 2: How can I calculate the time in JIRA from the time I create a ticket until it is done?

4 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2020

Hi @[deleted] 

For the second question: also, you can consider the solution for automating calculation from marketplace, like Time Between Statuses. It allows to calculate status to status time by creating status groups. 

In your case, you can configure for the start of the timer first status from your project workflow and as stop - the last status. Optionally this app lets set time limits for status groups.

Regards

Deleted user October 14, 2020

... ok, many thanks for the feedback / solution.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 8, 2020

Hi @[deleted] ,

the only built-in reusable timestamp is the resolution date that is (like the name suggests) the timestamp of the resolution being set.

This time is preserved, even when you're changing the status afterwards, e.g. setting the resolution Done with the transition to status Done yesterday and moving the issue to status Closed today, the resolution date will still be yesterday. However, once you reopen an issue and delete the resolution, the resolution date is deleted as well and will be newly set once you resolve the issue again.

Performing the calculations you're referring to, probably requires an additional 3rd party app and the best match depends on whether you're familiar with groovy scripting etc.

Since I belong to the team behind Jira Workflow Toolbox, I'd obviously go for this one here. Calculating the time between issue creation and issue resolution (rounded to hours) could be done with an expression like:

round(({issue.resolutionDate} - {issue.created}) / {HOUR})

Cheers from Germany
Thorsten

Hallo @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ 

Danke für Deine Nachricht. Wir haben es jetzt so hinbekommen, dass das Datum erhalten bleibt, wenn wir den Status 'Fertig entwickelt' setzen. Jeder weitere Status der dann folgt (z. B. Abnahme PM, Testen, Abgeschlossen) ändert das Datum nicht mehr bzw. das Datum bleibt erhalten. Das Datums-Feld heißt jetzt 'Fertig'.

Unser jetziges Problem ist noch, dass wir gerne auf diese Feld zurückgreifen möchten, d. h. in alle bisherigen abgeschlossenen Tickets möchte ich dieses Datum per Hand eintragen - denn auf Grund der Änderungshistorie kann ich sehen, wann das Ticket durch die Entwicklung fertig gestellt wurde.

Haben wir dieses Problem gelöst, gehen wir das nächste Problem an, die Auswertung. Die kostengünstigere Variante wird wahrscheinlich sein, aus der Übersicht der Tickets, diese nach Excel zu exportieren. Eleganter wäre es aber natürlich, durch ein Script oder Gadget per Klick die Auswertung zu erhalten .... ;-)

Grüße aus dem Süden Deutschlands,
Torsten

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

The Resolution date is set when (if) the Resolution is set. Which is why you should always set Resolution when closing, or rather one of the reasons.

Depending on you needs you could create a custom field to record the time to resolve issues and use a scripting or automation addon to calculate the difference between the created and resolved dates. Or, you could export to excel and calculate the deflation. Obviously if you rely on the time to resolve frequently then the first option is best.

Thank you very much for your answer. It helped me a lot. But I just saw that we have more statuses that follow the completed status and therefore the completed date is removed.

I will try the tip to export and calculate in Excel, I thought I could do it directly in JIRA by query.

Shaili_RVS_Support October 8, 2020

Hi @[deleted]

You can try out our Excel Export plugin, which will provide you the status time calculation without any effort with additional BI charts. Also the plugin is quite inexpensive.

Excel Konnector for Jira 

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

To be clear Jira statuses fall into three “categories”: to do, in progress, done (grey, blue, green). You can even use “statuscategory” in JQL, e.g. statuscategory = done. So even if you have multiple done statuses (e.g. Done, Cancelled, Declined...) they would all show in the previous JQL. Regardless of how many ‘completed’ statuses you have, when an issue is transitioned into one of the ‘completed’ statuses the Resolution should be set. Also, the Resolution needs to be cleared if an issue transitions out of one of these statuses. 

... our problem is, after the status 'finished' is set, there are more statuses to come after that. With this status change the 'Done' date is deleted (for whatever reason). This date should be kept - but we don't know (yet) how this should happen

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

So you might consider only setting the Resolution on the true ‘terminal’ statuses and not the intermediate done status. For example let’s say you have a two stage closure for an issue where the developer sets to Resolved and then it is left to the customer (creator) or QA to transition to the final done status of Closed. In this example set resolution on the transition to Closed only. If for some reason you need to recall/search on the date an issue moves to Resolved then create a new date field for that purpose.

... thanks for the answer and so much for the theory - how and especially where to set and extend this in JIRA we have to find out now :-(

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
November 18, 2020

Hi @[deleted] ,

You can try Status Time app developed by our team at Bloompeak. It provides reports on how much time spent in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count. It also has export functionality.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try. Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events