Be able to change a Jira Issue of Request Type "Emailed Request" to another type

Ted March 1, 2021

I was wondering if there was a way to change "Emailed Request" to another issue type after the ticket is created.

I know you can change the default, but I would like to be able to have our help desk staff be able to change an email request ticket to another type after the ticket is received.

EX: Customer opens a ticket from portal----Help Desk gets ticket with Emailed Request in Request type---Would like the Help Desk user be able to change the Request Type to another type that fits in our workflow.

Is this doable?  I have been looking for answers and so far it does not seem like it. I am hoping I missed something and someone here knows how to for this.

Thanks all,

Ted

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi Ted - yes, this is certainly doable.

First, though, the new Issue Type must be in the current Issue Type Scheme used by the project. If it isn't', you can simply add it. 

If the new Issue type is associated with at different workflow, then the user will need to do a Move on the ticket to move it to the Issue Type - it won't be able available in the dropdown for the issue type field.

If it uses the same workflow, then the user should be able to simply change it. 

Ted March 1, 2021

Hi John,

I think that maybe the will need to do moves, but I am not sure how they would do that.

I put more info below.

Thanks,

Ted

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Do you have all of the issue types in your Issue Type Scheme?

Do the two different Issue Types map to different Workflows?

If yes to both of those, the when the user is in the card/issue, click on the 3 dots menu and select Move.

From there, they should be able to map it to a new Issue Type.

Ted March 1, 2021

Ok, I have looked at that.  Apparently I misunderstood the issue someone was having.

I am a dope! Here is the request info:

"Emails into Jira create issues that get assigned the Issue Type of "Emailed Request". It doesn't appear that they can be changed to any other issue type. We need to be able to change these to appropriate types so that they follow the correct workflows".

So when someone emails our help desk directly, not using the portal, the ticket is stuck in email request and cannot be changed to another Request Type.

Sorry for the confusion my entire team is learning Jira and names are all getting learned at the same time.

Thank you,

Ted

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

What Issue Types are available in your Issue Type Scheme for that Project? 

And do they following different workflows?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

Hello @Ted 

To be clear, are you working with a Software Project or a Service Management project?

And are you working with a Classic style project or a Next Gen style project?

In Classic Service Management projects there is a special field called Request Type which is unique to that type of project. That field is typically set to Emailed Request only when the issue is created by a customer emailing the request to the help desk rather than going through the Portal UI to create the request. 

And Request Type is defined separately from Issue Types for a Service Management project. Request Types are defined in the Project Settings of a Service Management project. And "Workflows" (as in Workflow and Workflow Scheme) applies to Issue Type rather than Request Type, in Classic style projects. 

I think we need some additional information from you and the type of project with which you are working to provide you with feedback.

Ted March 1, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

It is a Service Management project.  Tt is also a Classic project. 

In my request types I have Emailed Request marked with "Used by Email Channel" I am really new to Jira and trying to learn the ropes so forgive  my ignorance.

If a user opens a ticket though the portal it shows up as an emailed request.

The problem is trying to figure out how my Help Desk users or Techs can change the the Request Type to the proper Issue type.

I have an Issue type scheme that goes to different workflows.

Thanks for any help,

Ted

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

In your Service Management project go to Project Settings.

In the Navigation Pane on the right, about 6 items down, you should see Request Types. Click on that.

The screen should show you all the Request Types available for your project. Emailed Request should be only at the bottom and should show "hidden from portal".

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.41.55 AM.png

Because of that, the users creating request through the Portal UI should not be able to select Emailed Request. Do you have "Emailed Request" showing up somewhere else in that list?

Above this entry is the list of request types the users can select from the Portal UI. Requests coming in from the Portal UI should only be one of those Request Types. Users creating issues through the Portal UI should not be able to select "Emailed Request"

Can you show us a screen image of your Portal UI and of your Request Types screen?

Ted March 1, 2021

H

Ok, I have looked at that.  Apparently I misunderstood the issue someone was having.

I am a dope! Here is the request info:

"Emails into Jira create issues that get assigned the Issue Type of "Emailed Request". It doesn't appear that they can be changed to any other issue type. We need to be able to change these to appropriate types so that they follow the correct workflows".

So when someone emails our help desk directly, not using the portal, the ticket is stuck in email request and cannot be changed to another Request Type.

Sorry for the confusion my entire team is learning Jira and names are all getting learned at the same time.

Thank you,

Ted

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

When you say you need to change the type so they "follow the correct workflows" are you talking about the Workflow/Workflow Schemes that determine how issues can change from one status to another? That is usually linked to the Issue type rather than the Request Type. In that case you would need to be changing the Issue Type, and you would do that as @John Funk specified and use the Move option to "move" the issue from one Issue Type to another Issue Type.

Ted March 1, 2021

@Trudy Claspill  @John Funk 

You guys rule!  Thank you so much the "move" was the answer.  Thank you both so much.

On the topic of emails, if some one emails Jira and has @service request in the body or header of the email does Jira know to put the email in the proper request type?

Just wondering.  Thank you guys again so much

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

I'm not sure if JIRA is able to determine on the fly an issue or request type based on the content of an email, specifically for Service Management. We use only the simplest Service Management configuration at my current company.

Like Ted likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events