Basic text string search pulls middle word into the project field if it matches a Jira project key

Aaron Andrade December 15, 2020

When performing a multi-word basic text string search in Jira using the quick search box in top right hand corner, it will pull one of the middle words if it matches the key of one of our existing Jira projects. For example, if I search "Client ABCD Extracts" with quotes and have an exiting Jira project named Alphabet Project with the key "ABCD" it will pull the "ABCD" part of my text string out and put it into the project field. This results in a search for the following: 

project = "Alphabet Project [ABCD]" AND text ~ "Client  Extracts"

What I really intend for is this:

text ~ "Client ABCD Extracts"

Has anybody else experienced this or know of an existing Atlassian bug ticket that covers this? Noting this seems to have just started after upgrading to Jira Server version 8.13.1. 

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Michelle,

That is smart query and has been around for a long time.  My guess is that this is the first time you have noticed it trying to help you out.  Usually when it runs you will see the following pop-up:

Capture.PNG

You can learn more about smart query here:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/quick-searching-939937704.html

You might also want to vote for this - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-44561

Aaron Andrade December 17, 2020

Hi Brant, 

Thank you for your response. I am familiar with smart query, but I thought the quotes around the text string made it so the string would be searched just as is. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Yes the quotes does prevent issuetype, etc. but it seems to have always allowed a project key that matches to be pulled out.  We had a project key of work and test that when running quotes around it always got pulled out.  So if it is a bug it has not been reported and it has been in there for multiple versions.  

Aaron Andrade December 18, 2020

Thank you for the information!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events