Based the information in a field can I autofill the account

Raffaele Bischof December 23, 2020

I have to autofill the account field based on the information that are chosen in the company field (dropdown custom field). Is it possible to do a rule that based on the information in the company field for example AAA fills out the account with the company AAA without having to do an automation rule for the 1000 companies? I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2020

HI @Raffaele Bischof  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

From what you describe, there are companies with names and account numbers, and you want to populate the account number in a Jira issue when the name is provided. Is that correct?

If so, there are several ways to do this, most of which could displease your team's DBA/DBE people  :^)

• Re-define your company name drop-down list values to include the account number, and then parse it out when needed.  For example, "Company A (12345), Company B (67890), ..."
  • Make this information available via a service and use a web request action to call to it
  • Add an entity property with all of the data (company and accounts) to the Project and access it as smart values with text functions

Best regards,

Bill

Raffaele Bischof December 24, 2020

Hi @Bill Sheboy

Thank you for your quick answer. I don't know if we are exactly on the same page therefore I try to display the situation as detailed as possible. We are using since a long time a customised field drop down with all the company that we are working with. The company are always three letters like AAA, ACC, BCC. Now we would like to move on and start to use accounts, but due the fact that the company field is used in a lot of dashboard and other automation rules we would like to keep both fields.

Now I would like to set up an Automation Rule that autofill the account field automatically based on the information company chosen on the dropdown. Note that we don't have numbers but three letters that are also used consistently as Accounts key.

If the way described above is still the same could you please describe it to me a bit more detailed so that I can implement this. I'm quite new in the space therefore I'm learning every day new stuff.

Thank You and merry Christmas,

Best regards,

Raffaele

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Hi @Raffaele Bischof   Happy holidays to you as well!

Thanks for the additional information... I thought you were using account numbers, and you can just as well use the Account Key (AAA, ABC, etc.) you describe with any of those three methods.

With thousands of companies to implement, I recomment either changing the list to include the key or using the web service.  You will need support from your own Jira admin and software engineers/developers on this work.  They will be able to help best with implementing this rather than having someone in the community try to understand your domain area.

Suggest an answer