Backlog not working after Trello to Jira migration

Rahul February 3, 2021

I have migrated the from Trello to Jira. All the cards are visible on board.

But, I want to create a sprint board and when I enable the Sprint option from (project features) all the issues disappear from the board and are only visible in issues and not in backlog.

Due to which I am not able to create a sprint as any new issue also goes to directly to issue tab and does not stay in the backlog section.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

My suspicion is that the statuses the issues are in are not reflected in the board. However it also appears you are using a NExt-gen project. What status are the issues in? Are these statuses reflected on the board?

Rahul February 3, 2021

Yes, I am using the NExt-gen project. Also, the status of all the issues is backlog.

Rahul February 3, 2021

It seems there is some issue with my workflow. Everything is going to Backlog. But even then all the tasks are not getting displayed in the backlog but in issues.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

first are you using Next-gen project or is this Classic? NG will clearly indicate such in the bottom left corner. What shows in the backlog is based on the status. Compare the statuses of two issues, one showing in the backlog and one that is only in Issues. What are the results?

Rahul February 3, 2021
  • I am using the Next-gen project
  • Initially I had only one card in my sprint board (had deleted by mistake) - Now I have added multiple card - In progress/ completed etc. This resulted in showing all the tasks in Backlog tab. Now I am in a position to create a sprint.
  • However, now I am facing a another issue.
    • My default workflow now is
      • Start -> Create -> Done
      • I am trying to change this but it keeps on throwing me an error that "a newly created issue must start in the To - Do status." But, that's not the case.
      • If I am trying to delete it, it throws an error that I must have one completed status. Also, it is not letting me create a new completed status
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

i'm getting a bit lost here partially because I'm working other issues and partially because I don't use NG much at all. However, one thing to note is that with NG you can only have one 'done' status which is the right-most column of the board. Maybe if you added some screenshots... board, backlog, workflow

Rahul February 3, 2021

"However, one thing to note is that with NG you can only have one 'done' status which is the right-most column of the board. " This line did the trick.

Thank you for your patience and help !!

I will try and explain in simple terms

"Due to my mistake column (which I had named backlog) in the kanban board became the right most column. This lead to change in the workflow. Now, I have moved that column to be the right-most column and this solved the workflow issue.
Also, as I had deleted all the columns in kanban board JIRA got confused and showed all the task under issued and not backlog. Once I created columns everything got displayed in backlog section."

Suggest an answer