Average daily velocity

Slimjim July 20, 2021

Hi,

I am relatively new to using Jira.  We have a project developing software using SCRUM , we a number of spring into the version.  At the start of this version it was decided to use story points as the statistic and each story point was worth 30mins, however as the team progress they realized this was not working very well and therefore change this so 1 SP =1 hour.   I am concerned that this has skewed the predicted completion dates provided under the version report.   I understand Jira uses the daily velocity to calculate these date.  I would like to understand if the change in story point value which happen couple of months ago is impacting the daily velocity, so my question is how does Jira calculate the Average Daily Velocity? 

Also, how exactly is the predicted completion dates calculated within the version report?

I have seen some articles state Jira calculates the daily velocity based on several sprint...  but how many is several?  If I know this i can understand the impact. 

Similar questions asked here but no firm answers provided,

What is the average daily velocity? (atlassian.com)

How are you calculating the 'average daily velocit... (atlassian.com)

How is the Predicted Completion Date and Velocity ... (atlassian.com)

Many Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

Suggest an answer