Autowatch Issues

Ben May 23, 2022

Hi, 

I have a question about project notifications. It is about what exactly is meant by the "Watch your issues" setting. As an addendum, it says "If you select enabled, you will automatically 'watch' the issues you interact with." My question is, what is meant by "interact" exactly?

In addition, there is a note on this page https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/watch-share-and-comment-on-an-issue/ : "You can choose whether or not to automatically watch issues you comment on or update. You can go to Your profile and settings () > Personal settings to see and set your Watch your issues preference."

If I understand this correctly, does this mean that I should automatically watch issues that I update? If so, this is not working correctly for me (complete default instance). But I rather assume that I don't understand it correctly.

Any thoughts on this?

Kind regards,

Ben

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Hi @Ben - You have it correct.  If you create or comment on an issue you are automatically set as a watcher by default in Jira.  However, it is possible to change the default behavior here:

https://INSTANCE.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewUserDefaultSettings.jspa
Ben May 23, 2022

Hi Mark,

thanks for your answer!

This means I am NOT automatically set as a watcher when I change the content of an issue (e.g. assignee, status, description), correct?

Kind regards,

Ben

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Correct

Like Ben likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2022

Hey Ben,

I wouldn't do that, because you will get bombarded with emails anytime anyone touches an issue for the most part. You can selectively add yourself as a Watcher to give it a try and see the types (and frequency) of emails you get. 

The other option is to create a dashboard and add an activity feed gadget to it for the project. Then you can go peruse that at your leisure to see all of the updates that have happened. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events