Automation to resolve issues does not mark as resolved

rfisher May 17, 2021

I have a very simple automation setup to transition an issue to resolved after 5 days of no response from customer. I choose resolved as the state to transition to and then choose done as the resolution field. This should resolve the issue, and it does set the status to resolved, but Jira still treats the issue as unresolved. Is there an additional step I am missing here?

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Hi @rfisher  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There are three things involved here - the status and the resolution field and the resolved field.

The status is usually something like Closed or Resolved or Done, and it is the last step in your workflow. It usually has a status category of Done (as opposed to In Progress or To Do).

The Resolved field is simply a date field that stores the date when the issue to move to a Done status category. 

Finally, the Resolution field captures information as to the type of Resolution. It can be something like Done or Obsolete or Won't Do, etc. There are many options out of the box for this. When this field is populated, that causes the issue to have the strike through.  

Can you share a screen shot that shows the status field and resolution field for the issue?

rfisher May 18, 2021

My automation is changing the status to resolved and setting the resolution to done but I haven't set the Resolved field. I will try that and see if it helps.

Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

The Resolved field gets set automatically by the system. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

Hello @rfisher 

Welcome to the community.

When you say that "Jira still treats the issue as unresolved", what exactly do you mean?

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? Are you working with a Software, Service Management, or Work Management project?

0 votes
Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2021

@rfisher  

Can you share the log of the rule execution?

as initial view , it seems that you are trying to update resolution after closing the issue while this should be done during the transition in case you have applied properties on the Close status which doesn't allow any issue update 

Suggest an answer