Automation to pull the reporter from the description

Aamina Reihana January 11, 2022

HI There

I have created an automation to populate the reporter field using the description field. We have a form that comes through as a request which has the reporter so Im using the {{issue.description.substringbetween("", "")}} smart value in an automation to pull this from the description but it doesnt do anything. 

When I had a look in automation logs it displayed this Snag_47bed7cd.png

Here is my automation

Snag_47c0b45d.pngSnag_47c0c3af.pngSnag_47c0d68b.pngSnag_47c11029.png

Can you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Aamina

2 answers

1 vote
Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

Hi Aamina,

I wish there was a way I could understand your current process at a higher level. 

Is the Reporter mentioned in the Description not the person creating the ticket to begin with?

If not, my gut reaction is when this form is being created, have a user picker field completed.

Once that is, you can use that to transfer the value of the field into the Reporter field. 

Is there a reason it all has to be from the Description in the first place? 

0 votes
Aamina Reihana January 13, 2022

Hi Josh

OK, so we have a Nintex form that the manager's fill to setup new users in the company. Once this is completed it is sent to Jira as an IS request so we can create the accounts. Currently, when this forms come through , Nintex is identified as the reporter in Jira. We want to change this. 

So, the reporter field becomes Nintex  and the description gets populated with the contents of the form. We are happy with the description part but not the reporter. 

At present we manually put in the reporter based on the contents in the description field but we would like to automate it. 

I created an automation with smart values by looking at some examples provided by the Atlassian Documentation but it didnt work and gives the error that I have added in the original request. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks

Aamina

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events