Automation create a link "is backport by" with linked issue

Nicolas Mayran August 31, 2022

I want to create an automation for backport formalization.

1. Test departement report an issue
  2. If my team is tagged I create a new ticket and link it to Test departement issue
  3. After dev fix, I need to backport it to previous release.

Additionaly to this existing link I would like to add another link ( a backported by link) with to the same 'Test Departement" Issue.

Only option I have are Trigger Issue and Most recently created issue... which is not relevant for me.

Do you have an idea ?

I would like to avoid creating an additional ticket just for the backport.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hi @Nicolas Mayran and welcome to the community

Your business requirement is not that clear to me, and I have certain questions:

1. What do you mean by "my team is tagged"?
  2. What do you mean by "backport" the issue "to previous release"?
  3. How is your team setup? Do all of you belong to a same jira group?
  4. What would be your ideal workflow? 

Following the third bullet:

1. A Test department creates a ticket
  2. On that ticket a field is populated with your team's name (e.g. a group field)
  3. A new ticket is automatically created with a link e.g. "Relates to" to the original issue of the test dpt.
  4. Your team is notified for this issue, and someone picks it up and assigns the new issue to him/herself
  5. The assignee works the issue and when it's done then ???
  6. The new issue creates a new link to the original issue with a relation of "Backported by"?

Please fill the question marks above and let me know if that is more or less what you want to achieve.

Hello Alex thanks for your reply please find below complement information.

1. All teams/department have a different JIRA project. To communicate between teams we use the component field. So when I say "tag" is when my team is identified into the component Field.
  2. Error is raised while testing on version 1.01. My team is currently working on version 2.01. So this error needs to be backported to version 1.02.
  3. I don't know what you mean by "jira group" but we use the same "jira software" (top left icon in our Jira). Then each team has a different project board.
  4. My ideal workflow would be :

Following the fourth bullet:

1. A Test department creates a ticket
  2. On that ticket a field is populated with your team's name (e.g. a group field)
  3. A new ticket is automatically created with a link e.g. "Relates to" to the original issue of the test dpt.
  4. Your team is notified for this issue, and someone picks it up and assigns the new issue to him/herself
  5. The assignee works the issue
  6. We raise a CCB meeting in order to accept yes or not the change into "previous release" (following example above to push the change into 1.02)
  7. If not accepted we simply push the change to main dev branch
  8. If accepted this issue (point 3) : I want to add a link "is backported by" to initial Tes department ticket.

So there is no third ticket.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Never said anything about a third ticket :)

So here's my two cents about how to approach this problem of yours:

1. Create an automation rule to the project where the Test department is working their issue
  2.  The rule should have If-Then-Else statement to create tickets to different project, depending on the component value
  3. On that automation rule you can also define the first relation (relates to)
  4. After you finish working on your issues, then you can add a workflow PF to add an additional link to the relates to issue

If you plan to have on an issue more than one linked issues, then perhaps the Test Dpt issue key should be store in a new field, so as to use it for the second link.

Do you have any additional apps on your instance, like JMWE, JSU, JWT, scriptrunner etc?

Vicente Domínguez _Decadis AG_ August 31, 2022

Hi @Nicolas Mayran,

We could help you configure this workflow with Jira Workflow Toolbox for Jira Cloud!

The only necessary post functions to achieve the desired functionality would be Create issue, Send email and Update fields.

If you need more information about any of our post functions or any of our Conditions or Validators, you can resort to our documentation or contact us via our Support Service Desk.

Best regards,

Vicente

Disclaimer: I am referring to a product of a company I am currently employed by.

Thanks for your replies.

Following your comment I actually refocused on where I am blocked and I might have a solution but I'm missing some information.
Please let me know what you think and if you know how to do it.

So, I will rephrase my problem :
I want to get the issue.key from linked issue (link type "relates to").

In Automation I guess this is something that can be done with "Create variable" following by "Link issue to".
But I do not have the "Smart Value" to get this issue.key from linked issue.

Do you have a solution ? Hope my problem is clearer than before.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

@Nicolas Mayran you can use {{issues.issuelinks.first.first}} if you have more than one linked issues. However, the above will possibly works ONLY if you have one linked issue. In any other case you have to follow another approach, of searching for the issue key of a linked issue with a specific link type (e.g. "relates to").

More about smart values here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/smart-values-in-jira-automation/

Nicolas Mayran September 1, 2022

Hello @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 
That's exactly what I needed thanks !
I had to dig a bit in admin values but thanks to your info I found out how to do.

Thank you.

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2022

Good to know @Nicolas Mayran!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events