Automation breaks because of a required field that is not even used in subtask screen

Celina Kim January 17, 2022

Hello, 

I set up an automation to create a subtask when any new issue is created. But, it keeps showing an error that one of a required field makes it fail. It's our "Tag" field. So, I took out "Tag" field from subtask screen. But, the automation still fails. How can I resolve this problem?

I'm attaching the automation setting just in case. Automation_Setting_Subtask.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

Screens do not have anything to say about fields being mandatory.  You have two routes to make this work - either make the field optional in the field configuration (not the screen), or have the automation set your "tag" field.

Celina Kim January 18, 2022

Thanks for your response. I fixed the error!

Amit Jadhav January 24, 2023

Hi Kim,

Can you please share the step, how you fix this?

Pragnesh Patel March 14, 2023

Amit - When you automate to create sub-task, click "Add Field" and select "Tag" Field and give value or  alternate option is given by clicking the "..." next to field and select "Copy from Issue"

Hope this explains!

Maroof Ahmed Malik October 17, 2023

I also have the same issue. But im not using Tags in my screen. how can i solve it otherwise?

Pragnesh Patel October 17, 2023

Maroof, "Tag" is the custom field name in the above example. When you create sub-task with automation, you need to make sure the required field has some value. In above example, I have explained to copy the value of "Tag" field from parent issue into sub-task. That will solve the issue as the required field has value what parent issue has.

Hope this helps to clear your problem.

Pragnesh Patel October 17, 2023

Here you can replace "Tag" field with your field...

Like Thomas Stähli likes this

Suggest an answer