Automation and epic colours by assignee

Alexis Manouvrier March 13, 2024

Hello everyone,

For our project, we are trying to change the epic colours depending on the assignee which gives us a good and visual export for reviews. We, of course, would like to do it by automation where when I assign myself, for example, my epic will now be yellow and when my colleague assign herself, it becomes orange etc.

Right now, when I set it up in automation as:

- When ticket is assigned

- When assignee is "xxx"

- Edit ticket field:

{"fields":
{
"customfield_10012" : "ghx-label-3"
}
}

I have an error telling me the field doesn't exist while it should be (I have the square on the top left of my epic to change it manually).

Is there a setting I missed ? Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2024

Hello @Alexis Manouvrier 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you sure you have the correct custom field id?

Have you tried using "Epic Color" as the field name instead of "customfield_#####"?

In this article it mentions that the epic color would be derived from the Issue Color field in the future. Have you tried that field instead?

Alexis Manouvrier March 14, 2024

Hello @Trudy Claspill ,

I have tried with all three of them and the error is still the same everytime.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2024

Hi @Alexis Manouvrier -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, and...to Trudy's answer:

The correct field is now the "Issue color", and the custom field id may be used in that JSON edit to change it.

And...a later Jira change altered the allowed color values.  When I just checked some examples, the color values appear to be people-friendly names now: orange, purple, grey, dark_purple, etc.

I recommend using experimentation and an issue search to look at the Issue Color field to find the names you want to use.

Kind regards,
Bill

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2024

I used the following, and it worked.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 10.06.50 AM.png

I tried in both a Team Managed and a Company Managed Software project.

The Issue Color field is not explicitly shown in the Screen configuration or Layout, nor in the Field Configuration.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Alexis Manouvrier March 18, 2024

Thanks for this information, it is now working properly :)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events