Automation ITSM - Business Project - ITSM

CHESTER RAMOS January 10, 2022

Hi All

Good day! I need your advise.
I am currently trying to figure out automatic transition rules between JIRA Service Management and JIRA Business Project.

Scenario:
We are currently in the UAT Phase of an "HR Service Management", in which employees can raise request such as "Request for Employee ID Replacement", "Salary Disputes"...etc

The JIRA Business Project Management will be utilized my HR Department (Mainly as a task tracker by several HR Assistants) and requestor do not have visibilities in JIRA PM.

As an example: 

Employees Involved
HR Manager - James
HR Assistance - Denise

Scenario :
Employee raises a request for ID via Service Management Portal.
James will be notified via email, review the request and approves.

Once the request has been approved by James (Request will be In Progress Status after approval), it will automatically be created in Business Project (I have succesfully created this rule (Auto notification and assignment to Denise) , see Automation Rule below)Rule1.JPG
Here is the Workflow for Employee ID Request. 

Workflow ID.JPG

Now , Denise will open up JIRA Business Project project work on the request. 
(No changes to the default business project statuses , To do, In progress and Done)
sss.JPG

Initially, what I have done is once "Denise changes the status to Done" in Business Project, James will be notified to close the ticket (via approval in "In Progress" Status" . But that defeats the intention of being fully automated.

Right now, what I am trying to establish is , once Denise changes the Status to "Done" in JIRA Business Project , I would like the initial raised ticket in JIRA Service Management to be tagged as "Done" or "Completed", therefore James intervention is no longer required (James does not need to go back to Service Management to perform the below screen cap) 

done.JPG

In other words 
If JIRA Business Project Status = Done
JIRA Service Management auto Transition to Done or Complete.

I have trial and error automation rules for this both "Local" and "Global Automation" but to no avail. 
I have also tried the following link ,
I am unsure if "In progress" status in JIRA Service Management is the road block to this. But I cannot remove "In progress" status in JIRA Service Management as requestor will want to know the status of their request.

Here is the last Global Automation Rule I tried before calling it a night (its 11PM in SEA). 
1111.JPG

Appreciate your inputs 

Thanks for the time

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hi Chester,

What you should do is that when you create the Business project task from the approval of the Service Management request, you should link the two tickets. Then you can do what you have in the last screen shot above to transition the linked ticket to Done. 

Did you try that? What was the result? 

CHESTER RAMOS January 11, 2022

hi @John Funk Thanks for the response.
I have no tried this , do I need to use the same statuses between JIRA Service Management and Jira projects? 

"Then you can do what you have in the last screen shot above to transition the linked ticket to Done." -- can I assume this will be under global automation rules?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

No, you don't need the same statuses, you just need to make sure they are linked. 

It doesn't have to be global but it does need to be at least multiple projects, which includes the two projects you are using. 

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Hello Chester,

Couple of questions for you:

1. When you create the new task in your Local Automation rule, are you setting the "Linked Issues" field? If you aren't, then your branch in the global automation rule isn't going to find the linked issue in the JSM project to close.
  2. What is the audit log saying in your global automation rule? If it says "no actions performed", what does it say when you expand it?
  3. Lastly (but I think very unlikely), is there a workflow condition that only allows certain users to make the transition to done?

Hope this helps

Sam

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events