[Automation] How to link issue from Project B to A upon creation based on field text AND...

Richard Canlas January 12, 2022

User case:

I have:

On my advanced roadmap,

Project "Square"

Initiative Issue Type "Apple"

branch>>>Epic Issue Type "Orange"

branch>>>Story Issue Type "Banana"

On my team-managed board,

Project "Triangle"

Misc. issues

--------------------------------

What I want my automations to be able to do:

When I create a misc. issue in Project "Triangle", let's call it "Cat"

In a field inside the issue "Cat", if I enter a text into a field that matches the same one in Project Square/Apple/Orange/Banana, I want that misc. issue to LINK to "Banana" as a sub-task. 

AND...

using the same trigger of creating an issue called "Cat", I want it to CREATE a sub-task IN "Banana" and title that sub-task the same title as the issue "Cat". Meanwhile, I want to tie the "Start Date" in Cat to the "Start Date in Banana/sub-task so that whenever the Start Date changes in Cat, it automatically changes in Banana/sub-task too. 

I know this is a lot, and I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi @Richard Canlas 

When we create an issue in project "Triangle" called "Cat"

May I know what field you are checking that matches the same one in Project Square/Apple/Orange/Banana?

And if the field matches with any of the projects (Square/Apple/Orange/Banana) should it create the sub-task in only Banana Project or is it in the respective project which matches the field?

If this is clarified, we can create a sub-task, copy the start date as well

Richard Canlas January 17, 2022

Sorry, I did not realize you responded! @Pramodh M 

Let's say the field that I'm checking in "Cat" is: "Order ID" and "Order ID" is also in "Banana"

The Order ID will only be unique to Banana. Meaning, I will never have the same Order ID in another one such as, Square/Apple/Orange/Watermelon. Watermelon will have its own Order ID. So, it should only create the sub-task in the Banana Project for this scenario. But the automation should be able to read all the Projects in "Square" and look for the respective Order ID AND Task (task meaning Apple or Watermelon)

Richard Canlas January 18, 2022

It seems that it is limited @Pramodh M 

Screenshot 2022-01-18 162510.png

The Order ID Value can't use Smart Values to get the Order ID from another project, it seems like. Maybe I'm wrong...

Richard Canlas January 18, 2022

Or perhaps a "Look up" will work? though I'm not sure if a Look Up will count as the Trigger issue:

Screenshot 2022-01-18 163637.png

@Pramodh M 

0 votes
Richard Canlas January 14, 2022

Tagging @Pramodh M in case you are able to assist

Maybe I need to simplify my question to get an answer :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events