Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Automation: Fill the Estimate of Epic with the Sum of all issues within the Epic.

Hi

The original estimate of an Epic is always the sum of all sub issues of this epic for us.

Same goes for the remaining. 

I had assumed I could fill this value easily using Automation but it seems the original estimate field is not available in the fields selection in the create rule interface.

How can I achieve this behavior, using Automation? 

So

If original estimate is changed 

Update Linked Epic with sum of all issues of this epic

Thank you

2 answers

Hi @Jeroen Mares 

Please take a look at this example rule in the automation library.  This one is for story/sub-task summing, and you may alter the condition, branch, and edit so it works children of epics.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/1371692

Also when writing rules, if you cannot find the name of a smart value (or if it is supported), please try a call to the REST API with an example story to check the JSON.  Here is the how-to for that method:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

If you need more help, please post an image of your rule and that will help the community give you ideas.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Hi BIll,

Thanks for the comment, 

I wonder if there is a documentation that describes the actual properties which we can use... example, behind the first link you posted there is this... expresssion? :

{{#=}}{{issue.subtasks.remaining estimate.sum}} / 60{{/}}

and it works fine when you have story and subtasks in it...

but when I use it for epic, it doesn't work. automation process is sucessful but it simply doesn't do anything...  so, I assume that issue.subtasks is the problem.. Do you know which property is used for child issues for epic?

example: epic>child issues (tasks, stories, bugs)

{{#=}}{{issue.children.remaining estimate.sum}} / 60{{/}}

thanks

Hi @Ilija Sasic 

First...to your question about documentation: I know of nothing that completely, and up to date, describes all of the smart values and attribute values.

Next, sub-tasks are special, and have a some extra coupling to their parent which allow this type of summation.

Epic relationships to their children work differently, and so there is no built-in summation mechanism.  To make matters more interesting, the way epics associate to children is different in company-managed and team-managed projects: epic link versus parent (respectively).

The work-arounds people try are:

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi, 

here is Ilze from eazyBI for Jira app support.

If you want to dig deeper in reporting on epics taking into account data from stories and sub-tasks, you may check out the app where this is out-of-the-box ability.

See example report in our demo account: Issue epic Gantt chart 

epics and stories.png

The report shows data on the epic level: they automatically include logged hours and story points from epic's stories and sub-tasks. If you expand epics, you would see the linked story and sub-task issues and their respective values.

Feel free to contact support@eazybi.com for furthers questions.

Best, 

Ilze, eazyBI Customer Support Consultant

Captura de pantalla de 2021-12-09 14-37-26.png

Hi @Jeroen Mares !

can you try this rule and see if it fits your needs?

Luis

This worked, nice stuff!

Like # people like this

Thanks for the update to the post.  This technique was not possible last year as Lookup Issues only supported about a dozen fields.  Now the lookups include all issue fields.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Luis Plaza Vidaurre likes this

Hey @Luis Plaza Vidaurre

Thank you for this - worked like a charm. 

By applying the same logic, what will be the lookup value for subtasks>tasks/stories? 

Thanks! 

Like Luis Plaza Vidaurre likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events